NSF - Human Services, Arts & Culture and Education Grants
Norfolk Southern FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $1,000 - US $100,000
Anticipated deadline: Sep 30, 2020
Applicant type: Government Entity Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense, Project / Program, Capital Project
Location of project: Counties in Georgia: DeKalb County, Fulton County, Norfolk city, Virginia
Location of residency: Counties in Georgia: DeKalb County, Fulton County, Norfolk city, VirginiaView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
Norfolk Southern Foundation
The Norfolk Southern Foundation was established in 1983 to direct and implement Norfolk Southern Corporation's charitable giving programs. Through strategic investment in educational, cultural, environmental, and human service organizations within Norfolk Southern’s service territory, the Foundation seeks to enhance the quality of life for Norfolk Southern employees and the "livability" of the communities it serves.
As a major employer in large and small communities throughout the eastern United States, Norfolk Southern takes seriously its role as a corporate citizen and its responsibility to commit resources, both human and financial, to help improve those communities for the benefit of our employees and our neighbors. This commitment is acknowledged in Norfolk Southern's Corporate Creed.
Current Focus Areas
Norfolk and Atlanta will the be primary territory for grants in 2018.
Arts & Culture
- Core arts agencies only in both cities
- Business & engineering programs at the collegiate level
- Early childhood education
- Childhood literacy
- View the Environment Program grant page here.
- Organizations focused on serving families with children.
Average Grant Amount
Grants are sent in requesting funding anywhere from $1,000 to $100,000 for a multi-year grant. Please note though, that six-figure, multi-year grants are few in number and are not necessarily granted each year. Those organizations that receive high dollar amounts tend to be organizations that Norfolk Southern Foundation has a strong relationship with currently or has in the past. The Foundation considers the Norfolk Southern presence in the organization's service area as well to determine level of appropriate funding. Based on the past several years, the average grant was less than $10,000.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Grants are awarded only to eligible organizations located within Norfolk Southern Corporation territory that are described under either Section 170 (c)(1) or Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Only applicants in our major cities of Norfolk and Atlanta will be eligible.
- Grants may be awarded for specific projects, including capital projects or for general operating support
- In addition to those ineligible organizations listed below, Norfolk Southern Foundation DOES NOT fund debt retirement, block grants, or projects in which we are asked to be the sole funder.
- Applications will not be accepted from:
- Organizations not in the NS territory (organization must be in a community served by Norfolk Southern to be considered)
- Organizations that do not have 501(c)(3) or170(c)(1) IRS letter
- Individuals or organizations established to help individuals
- Religious affiliated organizations
- Fraternal, social, military or veterans organizations
- Political or lobbying organizations
- Public or private elementary and secondary schools
- PTA groups or any public or private school affiliated club, organization, event or activity
- Fundraising events, telethons, races or benefits
- Amateur, civic, or professional sports or athletic organizations, clubs or activities
- Community or private foundations, or other organizations that merely redistribute to other eligible organizations aggregated contributions
- Disease-related or health-focused organizations
- Mentoring programs
- Boy and Girl Scouts programs or similar organizations
- Animal organizations
- Non-U.S. based charities & initiatives
- Organizations whose programs have an international and/or national scope
- Civic leagues
- Referral or consulting agencies and organizations
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the NSF - Human Services, Arts & Culture and Education Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.