NRC Research Associateship Programs
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
Grant amount: US $30,000 - US $80,000
Next deadline: Nov 1, 2018 2:00pm PDT
Later deadlines: Feb 1, 2019 2:00pm PST, May 1, 2019 2:00pm PDT, Aug 1, 2019 2:00pm PDT
Applicant type: Postdoctoral Researcher Unaffiliated Researcher Government Entity Working Professional PhD Student
Funding uses: Fellowship
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: Anywhere in the world
Degree requirements: Applicants must have a completed PhDView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The NRC Research Associateship Programs (RAP) promote excellence in scientific and technological research conducted by the U.S. government through the administration of programs offering graduate, postdoctoral, and senior level research opportunities at sponsoring federal laboratories and affiliated institutions.
In the NRC Research Associateship Programs, prospective applicants select a research project or projects from among a large group of Research Opportunities available. Identify Research Opportunities you wish to pursue by visiting any of the sponsoring agency pages or using the general search function to find Research Opportunity(ies).
NOTE: Prior to completing an application, prospective applicants should contact the Research Adviser listed with the selected Research Opportunity(ies) to assure that funding will be available if the application is recommended by NRC Research Associateship Programs panels.
While every effort has been made to provide opportunities of ample scope and relevance, the publication of any opportunity on the RAP website does not guarantee that it will be available at the time awards are offered. The number of awards will be determined based on the funding available from the sponsoring federal laboratory and with concurrence of the sponsoring laboratory.
Awards are initially for 12 months with renewal for a second or third year determined by evaluation of the Associate’s progress, and the need to continue the research; Senior awards may be for shorter periods. Summer Faculty awards are for 8-14 weeks, renewable for up to 3 successive summers. The tenure for Davies Fellows is three years and is divided between the U.S. Military Academy (for teaching) and the Army Research Laboratory (for research).
Research is conducted in collaboration with an Adviser who is a member of the senior professional staff at the laboratory. Research Advisers provide guidance, advice, and support for the Associate during their tenure.
Research Associates receive annual stipends from the NRC ranging from $42,000 to $80,000 for recent Ph.D. recipients and are proportionally higher for Senior Associates. Graduate entry level stipends begin at $30,000 and are higher for additional experience. In addition, the NRC provides health insurance, relocation benefits and an allowance for professional travel. The host laboratory provides research facilities, equipment and funding for supplies to support the Associate’s research.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Awards are available for scientists and engineers at all stages of their career.
- Applicants should hold, or anticipate receiving, an earned doctorate in science or engineering.
- Degrees from universities abroad should be equivalent in training and research experience to a degree from a U.S. institution.
- Many awards are open to foreign nationals as well as to U.S. citizens.
- Awards include attractive stipends, health insurance, professional travel and relocation.
- Prospective applicants should carefully read the details and eligibility of the program to which they are applying.
- Some laboratories have citizenship restrictions (open only to U.S. citizens and permanent residents), and some laboratories have Research Opportunities that are not open to senior applicants (more than 5 years beyond the Ph.D.).
- When searching for Research Opportunities, applicants may limit their search to only those laboratories which match their eligibility criteria.
- In addition, applicants should note application deadlines, as not all laboratories participate in all reviews.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the NRC Research Associateship Programs by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.