Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Government of CanadaSuggest an update
Grant amount: C $150,000
Deadline: Nov 6, 2019 5:00pm PST
Applicant type: Undergraduate Student PhD Student
Funding uses: Scholarship, Research
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: CanadaView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Please note: the deadline listed above is the deadline for institutional nominations. Candidates should verify institutional internal deadlines with the administrator at the nominating institution.
The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program in 2008 to strengthen Canada's ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning. Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
Scholarships are distributed equally between the three federal granting agencies:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Scholarships are valued at $50,000 per year for three years (non-renewable).
Candidates must be nominated by the institution at which they want to study. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and foreign are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
- To be considered, you must:
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota.
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD - if it has a demonstrated and significant research component).
- Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding.
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution.
- Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2017
- See details of calculating months of doctoral studies.
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent.
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
- Canadian federal government employees are eligible to hold a scholarship only if an unpaid leave of absence is taken (no salary or special allowances permitted).
- Without exception, the Vanier CGS is tenable only at the eligible Canadian institution that submitted the nomination.
- Eligible areas of research:
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering research
- Social sciences and/or humanities research
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.