Ohio DNR Boating Safety Education Grant
Ohio Department of Natural ResourcesSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $1,000 - US $30,000
Anticipated deadline: Nov 1, 2020
Applicant type: Nonprofit Government Entity
Funding uses: Education / Outreach
Location of project: Ohio
Location of residency: OhioView website Save
About this funder:
Boating Safety Education Grant Program
One of ODNR’s goals is to reduce boating accidents, mishaps and fatalities through boater education. Boating safety education grants are available to qualified applicants to establish, develop, expand and maintain boating safety programs. Grant amounts are based on the potential success of a program toward this goal.
For boating safety education programs offered by political subdivisions and nonprofit 501(c)3 organizations. Grants range from $1,000 to $30,000 with grantee cost share or in-kind contribution of 25%. Program period is two years. All grant expenditures and cost share contributions must occur during the program period.
Your application must clearly state how your grant program meets one or more of these requirements:
- NASBLA-approved general boating education courses that meet Ohio’s mandatory boater education law, at times and locations convenient to boaters. Funding is only available for training, books, classroom rental and advertising. Minimum of four courses per year.
- Skill development for non-traditional boating groups: Individuals from urban areas, persons from Hispanic cultures/ backgrounds, prisoners of war, veterans or residents from the Appalachian counties of Ohio. Minimum of four courses per year.
- Boating safety education programs for people with disabilities. Minimum of four courses per year.
- Paddling rescue programs: Must teach paddlers higher than a basic level, rescue techniques for river and/or flat water paddling. Topics to be included are proper personal flotation device wear, what to do in emergencies (falls overboard, capsizing) identifying hazards, self-rescues, rescuing other boaters and managing groups on the water.
Wearing life jackets properly is MANDATORY for all on-the-water programs and activities that are funded by this grant.
Grant amounts range from $1,000 to $30,000. The limit for all advertising costs is $1,000 per grant.
Source of Funds
Grant money is appropriated through the Waterways Safety Fund. The Waterways Safety Fund is composed of boat registration fees, a percentage of the state gasoline tax (7/8%) and federal funding from the U.S. Coast Guard. No general revenue funds are used.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Eligible Applicants:
- Political subdivisions including state, county, city, township, and other local, regional and state-wide forms of government
- Conservancy districts
- State departments
- State-supported school systems including colleges, universities and local boards of education
- U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Association
- U.S. Power Squadrons
- Nonprofit organizations proof of current nonprofit status required at time of application: 501(c)3, etc.
- Cost Share: Grants carry a minimum cost share level of 25% of the total program. For example, a $1,000 program would comprise $750 in grant monies and $250 in cost share matches from the grantee. Allowable cost share matches include:
- cash funds dedicated to the program by the eligible organizations;
- donations from outside sources;
- documented in-kind (personnel and volunteer) services;
- donated equipment.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Ohio DNR Boating Safety Education Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.