OK DEQ Environmental Education Grant
Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality
Grant amount: US $100 - US $1,000
Anticipated deadline: Dec 1, 2018
Applicant type: Government Entity Nonprofit Working Professional
Funding uses: Education / Outreach
Location of project: Oklahoma
Location of residency: OklahomaView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Environmental Education Grant Opportunities
To encourage teachers and youth leaders to develop effective environmental education programs, environmental projects and/or strategies, the Environmental Quality Education Committee, working with the Department of Environmental Quality, offers grants each fall. A total of $10,000 is available this year from funding received from the sales of the environmental license tags.
The Environmental Quality Education Committee
The mission of the committee is to help the general public become more aware of actions and activities which will help preserve and protect Oklahoma’s environment. Activities include promoting practical information and education about air and water quality, solid and hazardous waste, energy conservation, soil conservation, and flora and fauna conservation. Educating youth about the environment will strengthen their ability to make informed decisions about environmental issues in the future.
The Environmental License Tag
Funds for this grant program are generated by the purchase of Oklahoma Environmental Awareness License Tags.
Possible Ideas for Grants Listed by Category
- Vegetable seeds and/or plants
- Edging for raised beds
- Rainwater catchment materials
- Soaker hoses and/or watering cart
- Compost and/or mulch
- pH soil test kits
- Garden stakes and/or row markers
- Classroom EE materials (books, DVDs, pictures, bulletin board materials, etc.)
- Supplies for specific EE Units/Projects (water testing kits, microscopes, magnifying glasses, etc.)
- Supplies for Project WET, Project WILD or PLT Programs
- Fees/substitute for EE teacher training (not to exceed $100)
- Resource trunk/kit for library
- Community outreach projects/education events
- Field trips (gas, bus driver, lunch, etc.)
- Environmental/science club
Outdoor Classroom Revitalization
- Plants & trees
- Edging / border materials for planting beds
- Equipment for ponds
- Gardening tools
- Benches / tables
- Trail materials (gravel, wood chips, rock, dirt, asphalt, concrete, stepping stones
- Sprinklers, hoses, etc.
- Bird feeders, bird house
- Training materials (curriculum guides)
- Field guides
- Collection bins
- Equipment such as carts
- Storage bins
- Materials for educational outreach
- Program incentives
(Note: Funding to pay recycling businesses to regularly pick-up recyclables is not acceptable. This funding must come from a sustainable source to keep the program in operation.)
- Materials for compost bins (See directions here)
- Resource materials about composting
Items not already included in another category such as:
- Kill-A-Watt meter for testing energy usage of specific items
- Light meter to test adequate lighting levels
- Storm water projects such as bioswales, rain water catchment or green roofs
- Trees for shading the building
- Digital thermometers to test room temperature and humidity
- Or, other items that students will be able to work with for facility greening
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- You must be an Oklahoma teacher, public or private (Preschool – 12), school environmental club, youth group leader, and/or organization with a youth component to apply for the grant.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the OK DEQ Environmental Education Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.