Travel Grants & Event Organizing Grants
Global Fund for WomenSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $5,000 - US $20,000
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Conference
Location of project: Africa, Asia, Europe, Oceania, Caribbean, Central America, South America, Canada Expand all
Location of residency: Africa, Asia, Europe, Oceania, Caribbean, Central America, South America, Canada Expand allView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
- Resisting Rollbacks to the Global Gag Rule
- Support groups to resist roll-backs in rights and impacts of the Global Gag rule
- Decriminalization of Abortion
- Support campaigns for safe abortion and the decriminalization of abortion
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights of Marginalized Groups
- Support the rights of historically marginalized groups, including lesbian, bisexual, trans, intersex and queer organizations
Global Fund for Women is also a partner in the AmplifyChange consortium, along with MannionDaniels and African Women’s Development Fund, to advance sexual and reproductive health and rights.
Freedom from Violence
- Conflict and Crisis
- Support women, girls, and trans people at risk of violence during and after conflict, including those who were forcefully displaced.
- Support efforts to advance leadership and agency, self-organization and accountability.
- Safety & Integrated Security
- Support initiatives to advance the safety and integrated security of women human rights activists and defenders, including defenders of land, territory, and the environment.
- Cultural & Religious Fundamentalism
- Support women’s rights movements to challenge the influence of fundamentalisms—especially in justifying and condoning gender-based violence—by promoting a feminist understanding of religion; transforming social norms; and promoting inclusive societies.
- Women and Work
- Support worker’s rights including domestic, factory, and farm workers
- Support women’s engagement and leadership in agriculture with a particular focus on sustainable livelihoods and climate-resilient agricultural practices
- Support emerging leaders of new organizations and movements
- Strengthen models of young women and inter-generational leadership
- Strengthen women’s leadership at the organization and movement levels
Media & Technology
- Support innovative approaches to media and technology that are related to our funding priorities in the issue areas outlined above
- Continue to partner with national, regional, and global women’s funds. These funds make local grants to women’s rights groups. Their work to expand the money and resources available for women’s rights and builds a rich ecosystem of local partners and collaborators.
Travel and Event Grants
Please note: Funding for these grants is extremely limited. Due to limited funding, only those organizations that have received a grant from the Global Fund for Women in the past five years can apply for travel and event grants.
Travel grants are given to organizations led by women, girls, and trans people to attend national, regional, and international gatherings and events with the purpose of strengthening women’s rights movements, influencing decisions, and mobilizing resources.
We support groups who are organizing their own time sensitive convenings and events with event organizing grants.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicants must have received a grant from Global Fund for Women in the past five years
- Applicants must also have a current organizational profile
- Applications must be submitted at least 8 weeks before the start date of the event
- A group may only have one travel or event grant proposal open or under consideration at a given time
- Please note that your group MUST meet all the following criteria to be eligible for a grant:
- Be based in a country outside the United States.
- Have a primary focus on advancing women’s equality and human rights, with these goals clearly reflected in its activities.
- Be a group of women, girls, or trans people working together.
- Be governed, directed, and led by women, girls, or trans people, that is they must fill all or most of the leadership roles throughout the various decision-making levels of the group (including but not limited to the most senior decision-making levels).
- Groups do not need to be registered non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to qualify for funding.
- When funding allows, we prefer to make multi-year grants to strengthen recipient organizations.
- We also prefer to provide flexible funding so that organizations can determine how best to use the funds in support of women’s rights.
- Priority is given to women’s rights groups that:
- Work with and/or are led by highly marginalized communities
- Have limited funding
- Concentrate their efforts on one or more of the following thematic areas:
- Economic & Political Empowerment
- Freedom from Violence
- Sexual & Reproductive Health & Rights
- Media & Technology
- Women’s Funds
- For Event Organizing grants: have past experience in coordinating events
- We do not fund US-based organizations.
- Please note that groups whose sole purpose is to generate income or to provide charity to individuals are not eligible.
- We do not accept requests from individuals and do not fund projects proposed by or for the benefit of individuals (including scholarships).
- In addition, please note that Global Fund for Women does NOT fund the following:
- Government entities
- International organizations proposing projects with local partners
- Political parties or election campaigns
- Women’s branches/departments/projects of mixed gender organizations
- Exceptions: Women-focused projects within mixed-gender organizations may occasionally receive support from Global Fund for Women if they work with particularly marginalized groups: for example, women within groups of people with disabilities or women within LGBTQI organizations.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Travel Grants & Event Organizing Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.