Arthur James Boucot Research Grant
Grant amount: Up to US $5,000
Anticipated deadline: Feb 1, 2019
Applicant type: Faculty Working Professional Postdoctoral Researcher
Funding uses: Research
Membership: Applicants must be a member of this organization to apply. Become a member.
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the world
Degree requirements: Applicants must be within 10 years of starting their degreeView website Save Need help writing this grant?
These grants were initiated by Dr. Arthur James Boucot and Barbara Boucot. Dr. Boucot, a former President of the Paleontological Society (1980-1981), is a vigorously active field paleontologist and a recipient of both the SEPM R. C. Moore Medal and the Paleontological Society Medal. His research has focused on evolution, paleoecology, biostratigraphy, paleobiogeography and solving geologic boundary disputes for the Ordovician, Silurian and Devonian systems using fossil brachiopods and gastropods.
Arthur James Boucot Research Grants are funded by an endowment generously provided by Art and Barbara Boucot to support early career paleontologists with a PhD to conduct research in the fields of morphology, taxonomy, and biostratigraphy, working on any taxa. The Boucots started two endowments for these grants, one with the Paleontological Society in 1996 (the PS-Boucot Fund) and the other at the Oregon Community Foundation in 2000 (the Arthur James Boucot Research Fund).
The grants support research on morphology, taxonomy and biostratigraphy. Awards are made directly to individuals and not to institutions.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Arthur James Boucot Research Grants support original research by current postdoctoral students, assistant professors (pre-tenure), and other early career paleontologists with a PhD, with the possible exception of an occasional individual deemed to be unusually qualified.
- Paleontologists must be associated with universities, institutes, and academies of science, or equivalent institutions.
- Applications are encouraged from the United States and elsewhere in the world.
- Awards are typically less than $5000, but larger awards are possible.
- There is no limit to the number of times an early career paleontologist may apply for an Arthur James Boucot Research Grant, however applicants are asked to submit a different proposal after two unsuccessful submissions of the same or similar proposals.
- Only one application per year will be considered.
- Applicants who have received an Arthur James Boucot Research Grant may reapply.
You must be a member of this organization to apply for this award - become a member. Applicants must be Paleontological Society members unless there are extenuating circumstances.
- Awards cannot be used for institutional overhead, publication costs, or modeling studies that rely on fossil or modern databases.
- The Paleontological Society cannot award grants to applicants from countries with economic or trade sanctions imposed by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Arthur James Boucot Research Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.