Small Cat Action Fund Grant
PantheraSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $15,000
Deadline: Mar 1, 2020 (Letter of inquiry)
Applicant type: Individuals
Funding uses: Project / Program, Research
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
Panthera’s mission is to ensure a future for wild cats and the vast landscapes on which they depend. We envision a world where wild cats thrive in healthy natural and developed landscapes that sustain people and biodiversity.
The Small Cat Action Fund (SCAF) is a grants program established by Panthera with the oversight of the IUCN Cat Specialist Group. The fund is intended to support in situ conservation and research activities on the many small cat species.
The SCAF supports work on the “small cats,” namely all species of the family Felidae excluding the genera Panthera, Uncia, Neofelis, Acinonyx, and the puma (Puma concolor).
The following species are eligible for SCAF:
- Caracal - Caracal caracal
- Bay cat - Catopuma badia
- Asian golden cat - Catopuma temminckii
- Jungle cat - Felis chaus
- Sand cat - Felis margarita
- Black-footed cat - Felis nigripes
- Wild cat - Felis silvestris
- Jaguarundi - Herpailurus yaguarondi
- Ocelot - Leopardus pardalis
- Little spotted cat - Leopardus tigrinus
- Margay - Leopardus wiedii
- Serval - Leptailurus serval
- Canada lynx - Lynx canadensis
- Eurasian lynx - Lynx lynx
- Spanish lynx - Lynx pardinus
- Bobcat - Lynx rufus
- Pampas cat - Oncifelis colocolo
- Geoffroy’s cat - Oncifelis geoffroyi
- Kodkod - Oncifelis guigna
- Andean mountain cat - Oreailurus jacobita
- Pallas’s cat - Otocolobus manul
- Leopard cat - Prionailurus bengalensis
- Flat-headed cat - Prionailurus planiceps
- Rusty-spotted cat - Prionailurus rubiginosus
- Fishing cat - Prionailurus viverrinus
- African golden cat - Profelis aurata
- Marbled cat - Pardofelis marmorata
Applicants whose proposed work includes any of the eight largest cat species along with one or more of the small cats should apply to the Kaplan Graduate Awards (if they are graduate students and otherwise eligible). If the project does not explicitly include those eight species (even if they occur in the area), the application should be made to the Small Cat Action Fund.
In partnership with the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH), Panthera has developed the Global Felid Conservation Genetics Program. The program focuses on the molecular ecology of endangered felid populations and promotes, when preferable, the use of noninvasive sampling to understand genetic issues relevant to felid conservation. Applicants may apply to Panthera for genetic analysis funding, but the applicant must agree to process all genetic analysis through the AMNH.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- There are no restrictions on location other than
the presence of the target species in the wild.
- Panthera will consider salaries, per diems, and stipends for local field personnel only.
- Applicants are only permitted to apply to one Panthera grant program per intake round.
- Preference will be given to
requests specifically for field conservation and research activities, including equipment, transportation, and
- Excluded for support are the genera Panthera, Uncia, Neofelis, Acinonyx, and the puma (Puma concolor) species.
- We will not fund salaries for core administrative and management personnel.
- Panthera will not consider large requests for expensive first world university tuition, except in exceptional cases where the applicants are nationals from developing countries and provide convincing rationales that the institutions will provide critical graduate training that is not available in their home country.
- Panthera does not support conferences, travel to scientific meetings, legal actions, overhead costs, academic
exchanges, or captive breeding.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Small Cat Action Fund Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.