People's United Community Foundation Grant
People's United Community FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $2,500 - US $10,000
Next anticipated deadline: Mar 30, 2020
Later anticipated deadlines: Jul 31, 2020, Nov 30, 2020
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Project / Program, Education / Outreach
Location of project: Counties in Connecticut: Fairfield County, Hartford County, Litchfield County, Middlesex County, New Haven County, New London County, Tolland County, Windham County, Counties in Maine: Cumberland County, Kennebec County, Penobscot County, Somerset County, York County, Counties in Massachusetts: Essex County, Franklin County, Hampden County, Hampshire County, Middlesex County, Norfolk County, Suffolk County, Worcester County, Counties in New Hampshire: Carroll County, Cheshire County, Hillsborough County, Merrimack County, Rockingham County, Strafford County, Counties in New York: Bronx County, Dutchess County, Kings County, Nassau County, New York County, Orange County, Putnam County, Queens County, Richmond County, Rockland County, Suffolk County, Westchester County, Counties in Vermont: Addison County, Bennington County, Chittenden County, Franklin County, Lamoille County, Orleans County, Rutland County, Washington County, Windham County, Windsor County Show all
Location of residency: Counties in Connecticut: Fairfield County, Hartford County, Litchfield County, Middlesex County, New Haven County, New London County, Tolland County, Windham County, Counties in Maine: Cumberland County, Kennebec County, Penobscot County, Somerset County, York County, Counties in Massachusetts: Essex County, Franklin County, Hampden County, Hampshire County, Middlesex County, Norfolk County, Suffolk County, Worcester County, Counties in New Hampshire: Carroll County, Cheshire County, Hillsborough County, Merrimack County, Rockingham County, Strafford County, Counties in New York: Bronx County, Dutchess County, Kings County, Nassau County, New York County, Orange County, Putnam County, Queens County, Richmond County, Rockland County, Suffolk County, Westchester County, Counties in Vermont: Addison County, Bennington County, Chittenden County, Franklin County, Lamoille County, Orleans County, Rutland County, Washington County, Windham County, Windsor County Show allView website Save
About this funder:
People's United Community Foundation
In 2007, People’s United Bank established a $60 million charitable foundation, the People’s United Community Foundation, to help improve the quality of life for residents in the neighborhoods served by People’s United Bank.
People’s United Community Foundation awards grants to nonprofit organizations that align with our primary areas of focus and giving priorities of economic stability, employment, education, and housing:
People’s United Community Foundation supports programs that create affordable housing opportunities and the development and sustaining of safe, clean and desirable neighborhoods:
- Nonprofit organizations that directly develop affordable housing or assist developers which create affordable housing, through rehabilitation, new construction and/or neighborhood revitalization efforts.
- Community loan funds
- State and national programs, operating within our footprint, that serve as developers of affordable housing
- Supportive and transitional housing for homeless, low-income and those with disabilities or special needs
- Closing costs and down-payment assistance programs
- First-time homebuyer education
- Homeownership counseling and foreclosure prevention programs
People's United Community Foundation supports programs and services that address basic needs and encourage financial independence and self-sufficiency for low- to moderate-income residents; as well as activities which promote economic development in low-income neighborhoods. Funding priorities include:
- Basic needs services
- Initiatives that transition people from assistance to independence
- Financial literacy Programs
- Education, including ESL, certification and degree programs
- Programs that promote economic stability and self-sufficiency
- Small business development and entrepreneurial programs
- Workforce development, job skills training and job placement programs
People’s United Community Foundation supports programs and services that address the need for educational improvement and academic advancement of children and youth, especially within low- to moderate- income communities and school districts.Funding priorities include:
- Academic improvement and advancement programs
- Accredited early childhood development, school readiness, and Headstart programs
- College and SAT preparation programs
- Career exploration and internship programs
- ESL and literacy programs
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) programs
We seek proposals that demonstrate the following:
- Strong leadership and effective board governance
- Sound administration and stable financial conditions
- Competency in mission-driven organizational activities
- An effective, sustainable and scalable model
- Ability to create a positive impact on the targeted population
- Ability to provide clear performance measures and outcomes
- Strong partnerships and effective collaborations with community leaders and organizations
The majority of People’s United Community Foundation grants are less than $10,000 with the average grant being $5,000. If this is your first time applying for a grant from the People's United Community Foundation, we recommend your request fall within our average grant size. This does not imply that the Foundation will approve the amount requested, nor does it guarantee funding. The minimum grant request amount is $2,500.
As a regional Foundation, the volume of grant requests we receive far exceeds the number of requests we are able to fund. Therefore, not all of the organizations that are eligible will receive funding, or at the level of funding requested. On average, only 50% of the grant requests received by People's United Community Foundation are funded.
Organizations must also adhere to the following guidelines when submitting a grant application to People’s United Community Foundation:
- Applications are only accepted during three open grant application periods.
- Funding requests should be for a program or service. General operating support is limited and only accepted with prior approval.
- Minimum request amount is $2,500. Our average grant is $5,000.
- Only one grant application will be accepted by an organization during a 12-month period.
- Returning grantees should apply during the same grant cycle as previously applied or later, according to our grant application periods.
- Only one grant will be awarded to an organization per year.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- To be considered for a grant from People's United Community Foundation, organizations must meet the following minimum eligibility requirements:
- Organization must be operating as a recognized 501(c)3 public charity for a minimum of 2 years.
- Program/service for which funding is being requested must be operating for a minimum of 12 months and have demonstrated outcomes.
- Must operate or serve individuals within the cities/towns where People's United Bank branches are located.
- Grant request must fit within our three areas of focus and align with our giving priorities of economic stability, employment, education, and housing.
- The following is a list of activities and types of agencies that are ineligible for funding from People’s United Community Foundation:
- Activism or community organizing
- Advertising (yearbooks, journals, publications, etc.)
- Animal causes
- Annual appeals and operational fund raising campaigns.
- Arts & Culture organizations, programs, activities and events
- Beauty contests
- Behavioral/mental health
- Capital requests or campaigns
- Childcare/Daycare agencies or programs, subsidies & scholarships (not part of an accredited Head Start or School Readiness program for low income children)
- Conferences, seminars, panel discussions and trips
- Conservation, environmental causes
- Debt reduction
- Discriminatory organizations or activities based on race, religion, etc.
- Disease specific organizations and activities
- Event Sponsorships
- Fiscal Agents or Fiduciaries
- Fundraising Activities/Events (golf tournaments, road races, etc.)
- Health & healthcare programs
- Historic Preservation
- IRS Sub Classification of 509(a)3 Supporting Organization
- Third parties raising funds for a charity
- Theater, dance and music programs Stand-alone or as part of a youth development/enrichment program
- Team sponsorships
- Substance abuse programs
- Student trips/tours (including transportation and conference costs)
- Sponsorships or projects where the Bank or its employees receive tangible benefits or privileges
- Sports, athletic events, or recreational programs/organizations
- Research and feasibility studies
- Religious organizations, unless supporting non-sectarian broad based community issues
- Public school districts and their individual schools
- Programs, agencies and communities outside of our geographic footprint.
- Private scholarships/tuition
- Private schools, colleges and prep schools
- Private Foundations
- Political, labor, civic or fraternal organizations
- Political Action Committees (PAC’s)
- Pilot programs, new initiatives and start-ups
- Obesity programs
- Nursery Schools
- Municipal/government entities
- Medical equipment, patient treatment funds, etc.
- Media-related initiatives (television, radio, film, video and books)
- Limited/very small number of individuals being served by an organization/program
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the People's United Community Foundation Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.