Pete and Sally Smith Foundation Grant
Pete and Sally Smith Foundation
Grant amount: Unspecified amount
Anticipated deadline: Jun 30, 2019
Applicant type: Nonprofit College / University Elementary / Secondary School Government Entity
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Oconee County, South Carolina, Rhea County, Tennessee
Location of residency: Oconee County, South Carolina, Rhea County, TennesseeView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Pete Smith was born in 1908, and Sally Smith was born in 1906. They both were originally from Michigan. Each completed undergraduate studies at Michigan State University, Pete with a degree in liberal arts and Sally with a degree in math. Pete went on to earn an MBA from Harvard University.
The majority of the couple’s working lives were spent in Tennessee in the area of Rhea County, where they operated the Watts Bar Resort for many years. The resort was located on property leased from the TVA. There were cabins on the property which had been renovated by the Smiths, and the resort operated from spring through fall. The Smiths also traveled extensively, and there was a game room at the resort featuring Pete’s safari trophies. The resort offered horseback riding, boating on the lake, fishing, and swimming, as well as an on-site restaurant. Landscaping was maintained at a high level, and bird feeders were provided. The Smiths were also car aficionados.
The Smiths spent their later years in Seneca, SC (Oconee County) where they were closer to some of Sally’s family, one of whom suffered from Alzheimer’s. Pete Smith died in 1979 of kidney disease, and Sally Smith died in 1992.
To support charitable causes in the areas of education, environment, and medical research/disease management in Rhea County, Tennessee and Oconee County, South Carolina.
- Environment, animals
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- To be eligible, organizations must qualify as exempt organizations under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- The foundation primarily supports charitable causes in the areas of education, the environment, and medical research/disease management in Rhea County, Tennessee and Oconee County, South Carolina.
- Preference may be given to requests for the following:
- Funds will be directed to scholarship programs and/or educational programming in the areas of Hospitality, Culinary, Horticulture, Landscaping, Entrepreneurship, Math and Liberal Arts. Education funding may be directed to K-12, technical schools and/or undergraduate programs.
- Funds will be directed to land conservation, wetlands protection including habitats for wildlife, ornithological protection, public site improvements and beautification efforts such as for public parks and marina-based sites. Municipal entities and/or non-profits that focus on these areas will be considered.
- Grants to research institutions that expend efforts in the areas of kidney disease and Alzheimer’s will be considered as well as entities that serve individuals afflicted with kidney disease and Alzheimer’s.
- The foundation typically does not fund requests for:
- Operational support
- Multi-year grants
- The foundation does not fund requests for foreign grants.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Pete and Sally Smith Foundation Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.