Philadelphia Foundation: Direct Service Grants
The Philadelphia FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: Unspecified amount
Anticipated deadline: Mar 29, 2020
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: General Operating Expense
Location of project: Counties in New Jersey: Burlington County, Camden County, Counties in Pennsylvania: Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Philadelphia County Expand all
Location of residency: Counties in New Jersey: Burlington County, Camden County, Counties in Pennsylvania: Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Philadelphia County Expand allView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
Unrestricted Grants are made to direct-service organizations that are well-run, well-led and that serve the high poverty and vulnerable populations in our region, primarily in the five counties of Southeastern Pennsylvania.
For nonprofits serving this population
- Greater Philadelphia
Amount of Grants
- Not more than 7% of the organization’s budget.
Types of Projects Funded
- General Operating Support
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Common Requirements For All Grant Applicants:
- Operating budget less than $10 million;
- 501c3 status;
- Provide three years of audits or 990s;
- One Full Time Equivalent (FTE) Staff Person; and
- In compliance with TPF non-discrimination policy.
- Have an office in and provide service is in the Five-county Southeastern Pennsylvania Region and Camden and Burlington Counties in New Jersey.
- Special Requirements:
- Applicants must have received an Unrestricted (General Operating Support grant) through the discretionary grant program from The Philadelphia Foundation since 2007.
- No deficit of more than 10% for prior three years;
- No more than two years of deficits for prior three years;
- Operating Budget above $100,000;
- Must complete child abuse clearance and criminal background checks for all staff and volunteers who work with youth;
- Important Considerations:
- The Executive Director must have been in place for at least three months.
- The Philadelphia Foundation’s legal counsel advises against using discretionary dollars to support organizations wherein there are familial relationships across the board and staff;
- however,TPF considers the type of family relationship and the controls in place for each request.
- Grants to organizations that are national or state-wide will be pro-rated based upon their work in our region.
- TPF looks closely at all Form 990s submitted to the IRS.
- In order to be considered in good standing for General Operating Support, organizations are expected to have the following policies in place, as indicated in the Part VI, Section B of the Form 990.
- Conflict of Interest Policies;
- Whistleblower Policy; and
- Independent process with comparability data for determining compensation , providing copy of the 990 to board members prior to filing.
- Priority given to :
- Those able to demonstrate that at least 50% of those they serve or represent are low-income; and
- Those with operating budgets under $5 million.
- Strongly preferred:
- Written, board-approved policies regarding whistle-blowing, conflict of interest, and document retention and destruction.
- Interim or permanent executive leadership in place for at least three months.
- Limited familial relationships among board and staff members.
- An organization is ineligible to receive funding through The Philadelphia Foundation’s discretionary grant program if it is one of the following:
- School (K-12);
- College or university;
- A center or a program housed in a university that raises less than 75% of its funding;
- A local chapter of a national organization or program that raises less than 75% of its own funding;
- Government agency;
- General childcare agency;
- Library; or
- Organization that re-grant the funding they receive (umbrella funding organization).
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Philadelphia Foundation: Direct Service Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.