Philadelphia Foundation: Direct Service Grants
The Philadelphia FoundationSuggest an update
Anticipated deadline: Apr 6, 2021
Grant amount: Unspecified amount
Fields of work: All fields of work
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: General Operating Expense
Location of project: Counties in New Jersey: Burlington County, Camden County, Counties in Pennsylvania: Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Philadelphia County Show all
Location of residency: Counties in New Jersey: Burlington County, Camden County, Counties in Pennsylvania: Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Philadelphia County Show allView website Save
About this funder:
Unrestricted Grants are made to direct-service organizations that are well-run, well-led and that serve the high poverty and vulnerable populations in our region, primarily in the five counties of Southeastern Pennsylvania.
For nonprofits serving this population
- Greater Philadelphia
Amount of Grants
- Not more than 7% of the organization’s budget.
Types of Projects Funded
- General Operating Support
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Common Requirements For All Grant Applicants:
- Operating budget less than $10 million;
- 501c3 status;
- Provide three years of audits or 990s;
- One Full Time Equivalent (FTE) Staff Person; and
- In compliance with TPF non-discrimination policy.
- Have an office in and provide service is in the Five-county Southeastern Pennsylvania Region and Camden and Burlington Counties in New Jersey.
- Special Requirements:
- Applicants must have received an Unrestricted (General Operating Support grant) through the discretionary grant program from The Philadelphia Foundation since 2007.
- No deficit of more than 10% for prior three years;
- No more than two years of deficits for prior three years;
- Operating Budget above $100,000;
- Must complete child abuse clearance and criminal background checks for all staff and volunteers who work with youth;
- Important Considerations:
- The Executive Director must have been in place for at least three months.
- The Philadelphia Foundation’s legal counsel advises against using discretionary dollars to support organizations wherein there are familial relationships across the board and staff;
- however,TPF considers the type of family relationship and the controls in place for each request.
- Grants to organizations that are national or state-wide will be pro-rated based upon their work in our region.
- TPF looks closely at all Form 990s submitted to the IRS.
- In order to be considered in good standing for General Operating Support, organizations are expected to have the following policies in place, as indicated in the Part VI, Section B of the Form 990.
- Conflict of Interest Policies;
- Whistleblower Policy; and
- Independent process with comparability data for determining compensation , providing copy of the 990 to board members prior to filing.
- Priority given to :
- Those able to demonstrate that at least 50% of those they serve or represent are low-income; and
- Those with operating budgets under $5 million.
- Strongly preferred:
- Written, board-approved policies regarding whistle-blowing, conflict of interest, and document retention and destruction.
- Interim or permanent executive leadership in place for at least three months.
- Limited familial relationships among board and staff members.
- An organization is ineligible to receive funding through The Philadelphia Foundation’s discretionary grant program if it is one of the following:
- School (K-12);
- College or university;
- A center or a program housed in a university that raises less than 75% of its funding;
- A local chapter of a national organization or program that raises less than 75% of its own funding;
- Government agency;
- General childcare agency;
- Library; or
- Organization that re-grant the funding they receive (umbrella funding organization).
Want to discover new grants?
See how we help our customers save time and find new funding by trying out Instrumentl for 14-days free or learn more.
“This is the best foundation match & grant tracking tool I've used in my many years of fundraising.”