Prairie Biotic Research: Small Grants Program
Prairie Biotic Research
Grant amount: Up to US $1,000
Deadline: Dec 20, 2018
Applicant type: Individuals
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Funding for organismal biological research has largely disappeared, as have many of the distinctive species living in North America's prairies and savannas. However, research remains an important and necessary component of prairie conservation and restoration. Prairie Biotic Research (PBR) is an all-volunteer, 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation formed in 2000 to promote grassland research. Our efforts include awarding grants to individuals conducting organismal research in the field or the human dimensions of prairie and savanna conservation anywhere in the USA.
PBR fundswith grants up to $1000 in our competitive annual Small Grants Program. We support the study of any species in U.S. prairies and savannas. More than half of these grants supported graduate students.
What makes this activity so urgent is that these habitats and the species that live there are vanishing. We are gathering information that may slow this terrible erosion of ourheritage, while fostering the development of these researchers, thereby sustaining our heritage. We can be only as successful in this effort as we are in raising the money that we give away.
Projects most likely to be funded are those that:
- Focus on research relating to prairie/savanna habitat and its conservation.
- Focus on organismal research in the field, rather than suborganismal work such as molecular biology or ecological work that is other than autecological.
- We want you to be outdoors, sweating, among the ticks and chiggers, rather than hiding indoors in the airconditioning.
- Anticipate publication and/or presentation of results.
- Are either natural history or use experimental science or human dimensions of conservation and can be completed within your proposed timeline and budget.
- If specimens are to be collected, we want them to end up carrying informative labels in a museum so that others can learn more from these same specimens in the future.
- We are not categorically against specimen collecting as some citizen science groups today are.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- PBR funds only individuals.
- Anyone with
a U.S. Social Security number may apply.
- PBR donot fund institutions or government agencies or nonprofits.
- People who received PBR Small Grants Program funding in 2016 are ineligible for this funding in 2017.
- PBR board members and Scientific Advisors are ineligible for Small Grants Program funding.
- We don't fund many bird projects, in part because there are generally more funds available for the study of birds.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Prairie Biotic Research: Small Grants Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.