Climate Action Fund (CAF)
Rainforest Action NetworkSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $2,500
Fields of work: Environmental Justice & Advocacy
Applicant type: Nonprofit, Indigenous Group
Funding uses: Education / Outreach
Location of project: Preferred: Central America, North America, South America Other eligible locations: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save
About this funder:
The Climate Action Fund (CAF) was established in 2009 to award small grants to frontline community groups that are fighting to prevent fossil fuels from being extracted and/or the construction of large point sources of greenhouse gas emissions. CAF is a grassroots alternative to carbon offset programs. Instead of purchasing carbon credits, funds will be used to empower frontline communities to keep fossil fuels in the ground where they belong.
Frontline communities face the most adverse health, social and environmental consequences of fossil fuel projects because they are situated closest to mines, power plants and other industrial infrastructure. By standing up to industries and corporations, these communities are protecting their lives and livelihoods. However, even though they are on the frontlines of efforts to stop the largest, dirtiest, and most carbon intensive industries, many of these groups are volunteer-based and have very few resources.
RAN Community Action Grants provide crucial and rapid funding for people fighting in their own communities across the globe to protect millions of acres of forest, to keep millions of tons of carbon in the ground, and to protect the rights and self determination of local communities.
Project must fit one of two basic categories:
- Local resistance by frontline and impacted communities to prevent the extraction of fossil fuels such as coal, tar sands, oil and gas.
- Local resistance by frontline and impacted communities to decommission or to prevent the construction of large point sources of greenhouse gas emissions (a large point source is defined as any source larger than 100,000 tons of CO2).
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Although grants are made in all regions and unsolicited proposals are welcome, geographic priority areas are South and North America.
- Applicants from other regions are encouraged to contact CAF prior to submitting an application to inquire regarding the possibility of funding.
- Organizations representing communities of color and/or with limited access to resources will receive priority in funding.
- CAF does not support individual, governmental, or exclusively academic projects.
Want to discover new grants?
See how we help our customers save time and find new funding by trying out Instrumentl for 14-days free or learn more.
“This is the best foundation match & grant tracking tool I've used in my many years of fundraising.”