RSAA Travel Award
Royal Society for Asian AffairsSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to £1,000
Anticipated deadline: Nov 9, 2019
Applicant type: Individuals
Funding uses: Research, Conference, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Asia
Location of residency: United Kingdom
Must travel to: Asia
Age restriction: Between 21 and 28 years of ageView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About the RSAA
The Royal Society for Asian Affairs (RSAA) exists as an educational charity to promote greater knowledge and understanding of Central Asia and countries from the Middle East to Japan. The Society hosts lectures and encourages debate on a wide variety of topics, from political history and current affairs, military affairs, culture, literature and the arts, exploration and the environment.
To achieve its objectives, the Society seeks to provide a balanced programme of activities and publications which, while not neglecting the past, gives a span of opportunities for members to keep up-to-date with developments in Asian countries and for discussions on a broad and diverse range of topics of common interest to Asia and the West.
Our objectives are:
- to promote learning and advance education in the subject of, and with regard to, all the countries of Asia;
- to create environments conducive to the objectives of the Society;
- to conserve all of the Society’s valuable archives, photographic and written;
- to develop all kinds of channels for the wider knowledge and understanding of the Society’s heritage and current Activities.
RSAA Travel Award
The Royal Society for Asian Affairs has for many years made awards to promote travel in Asia by young people. Following a review of the Awards at the beginning of 2019, some changes to the criteria for applications have been introduced aimed at encouraging more purposeful, less touristic proposals and targeting a slightly older age range.
The awards are not generally limited by subject or activity but the RSAA may from time to time give preference to particular topics or areas of study or activity. These will be clearly set out each year when the awards are advertised. The awards may be used in support of a practical project or in support of research the objective of which is a contribution to academic or other public knowledge including post-graduate degrees, journalism and travel writing. They may not be used for commercial purposes.
Successful applicants must, after completion of their travel, provide an account (including a photographic or other pictorial record) to the RSAA of the project undertaken. This may be in the form of a presentation at a meeting of the RSAA or a video or podcast that the RSAA can share with its members and use in promotion of its activities more generally. The Editor of the Society’s journal Asian Affairs will welcome submissions based on award-supported activities and research.
Applications will be assessed and awards will be made by a panel appointed by the RSAA and which will include at least one external member. Awards may be of any amount up to £1,000 at the discretion of the awards panel. The panel will have the discretion to make multiple awards or none.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The awards are available to support independent purposeful travel in Asia by young people aged 21-28.
- Applicants do not need to be UK citizens but must be normally resident in the UK.
- Preference will be given to projects that are not requirements in an academic or other course and ideally should not be part of or related to the curriculum of the applicant’s current course.
- The awards may not be used to fund travel arranged for the applicant by another organization.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the RSAA Travel Award by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.