Russian River Coho Program
National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF)
Grant amount: Up to US $410,000
Deadline: Jun 7, 2018 8:59pm PDT
Applicant type: Indigenous Group Government Entity Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Research, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Sonoma County, California
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF) is soliciting proposals to contribute to the recovery of a viable, self-sustaining population of coho salmon to the Russian River watershed by:
- restoring a more natural seasonal flow regime in five priority Russian River subwatersheds,
- increasing the viability of juvenile coho and numbers of returning adult coho, and
- increasing water supply reliability for water users.
The Russian River Coho Program will award $410,000 in grants to support program implementation. Major funding for the program is provided by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.
Proposals must specifically implement the key strategies of the Russian River Coho Program business plan. These include:
- Water management
- Develop, design, and implement water storage and forbearance projects that provide a means to maintain agricultural water uses while improving instream conditions for coho salmon through summer.
- Streamflow monitoring and watershed management
- Streamflow monitoring projects that identify diversions having significant impacts on flow in key reaches.
- Outreach and recruitment activities that combine broad, watershed-scale outreach with targeted contacts to recruit individual landowners in areas where monitoring data indicate the potential for streamflow improvement.
- Streamflow Improvement Plans
- Develop Streamflow Improvement Plans (SIPs) that synthesize and integrate land and water use data, water rights details, streamflow and habitat monitoring, and flow-habitat relationships to develop a prioritization of strategies and projects based on projected instream flow needs.
- Coho Population Monitoring and Evaluation
- Evaluate the effects of water management activities on coho salmon by monitoring juvenile coho survival in treatment reaches (flow impaired, targeted for improvement) and reference reaches (less flow impaired, not targeted for improvement) before and after changes in water management.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Eligible Entities:
- Eligible applicants include: local, state, federal, and tribal governments and agencies (e.g., townships, cities, boroughs), special districts (e.g., conservation districts, planning districts, utility districts), non-profit 501(c) organizations, schools and universities.
- Geographic Focus
- To be eligible for funding, projects must occur within the five focal subwatersheds of the Russian River, as indicated in the Russian River Coho Business Plan. These are:
- Grape Creek,
- Mill Creek,
- Mark West Creek,
- Dutch Bill Creek, and
- Green Valley Creek.
- Applicants should provide non-federal match of at least $1 for every $1 of NFWF grant funds requested.
- NFWF funds and matching contributions may not be used to support political advocacy, fundraising, lobbying, litigation, terrorist activities or Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations.
- NFWF funds may not be used to support ongoing efforts to comply with legal requirements, including permit conditions, mitigation and settlement agreements.
- However, grant funds may be used to support projects that enhance or improve upon existing baseline compliance efforts.
- Funds from this program cannot support fee title land acquisition projects.
- However, funds may cover certain transaction costs associated with an acquisition (appraisals, title searches, surveys).
- Also, funds can be used to put in place conservation easements.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Russian River Coho Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.