Core Support Grants - California
Grant amount: Up to US $300,000
Anticipated deadline: Oct 22, 2019 (Letter of inquiry)
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: General Operating Expense
Location of project: California
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The Satterberg Foundation is pleased to announce a new grant program, the Core Support Grant-- a multi-year general operating grant that funds up to $100,000 per year, up to three years. This program is structured to represent a blend of ideas that we believe contribute to resilient nonprofit organizations, strong partnerships with the Foundation, and ultimately the fulfillment of our mission to create a just society and a sustainable environment.
Through the Core Support Grant program, the Foundation will partner with organizations most aligned with our mission in the communities of California. The Satterberg Foundation values building relationships as opposed to transactional grantmaking, and we aim to create a program that can evolve over time through learning and experiences with partner grantees.
- Environmental Justice:
- Organizations working across Satterberg's mission areas of promoting a Just Society and a Sustainable Environment.
- Advocacy and Civic Engagement:
- Organizations that are community-led, working for community-driven solutions; that create opportunities for communities to use their voices; and that work to remove inequity and systemic barriers
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
- Organizations with a staff and board that reflect the communities they serve, or are intentionally working towards better reflecting their communities
- Organizations that work across multiple elements of promoting a Just Society and a Sustainable Environment; that approach their work holistically, recognizing that people do not lead single-issue lives
While applicant organizations do not need to have expertise in all of these areas, applicants are prioritized—and are usually more competitive—if their mission and work are centered in more than one of these categories.
Additionally, Satterberg aspires to blend Core Support funding in the following ways:
- Geography: 60% of grants to organizations working in Washington; 40% to organizations working in California
- Mission: 40% of grants to organizations working toward a Just Society; 40% to those working toward a Sustainable Environment; and at least 20% to those working toward both
Mission, Vision, and Values
Mission: The Satterberg Foundation strengthens our communities by promoting a just society and a sustainable environment. Doing this work deepens the interconnection of our family.
Vision: The Satterberg Foundation envisions a world in balance with vibrant communities in which all people enjoy the opportunity to grow and thrive.
Elements of a Just Society
- Access to housing, food, health care, education, and employment
- Empowerment to have one's voice heard
- Advocacy and policy/systems change
In order to thrive, individuals need a safe place to sleep at night, adequate food to eat, access to health care, access to education, and the opportunity for economic stability. We need to have our voices heard, and to have hope. A just society aims to ensure, through programs, or through advocacy and policy change, that all individuals have these elements in their lives.
Elements of a Sustainable Environment
- Environmental resilience, conservation, preservation, and protection
- Pollution reduction and avoidance
- Education and stewardship
- Advocacy and policy/systems change
The Satterberg Foundation envisions a sustainable environment where humanity and the natural world are in balance, with each supporting the other. We express this balance by conserving and protecting natural resources, by avoiding practices and activities which pollute, and by educating and advocating for environmental stewardship.
Values: In order to be transparent, trustworthy stewards of the Satterberg Foundation's resources we state and affirm the following values: Integrity, Community, Joy, Compassion, Respect and Responsibility.
- Integrity in action is alignment of principles and deeds.
- Community in action is collaboration and mutual support.
- Joy in action is including humor and a light hearted spirit in one's work.
- Compassion in action is treating oneself and others with caring, acceptance, and fairness.
- Respect in action is trusting each person and community to discover and use their own tools and inner wisdom.
- Responsibility in action is doing one's best at all times, thereby supporting the common good.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- In order to be eligible for a Core Support Grant, applicant organizations must:
- Align with Satterberg Foundation’s mission to promote a Just Society and a Sustainable Environment
- Be a tax exempt nonprofit under section 501(c)3 of the IRS code or equivalent, or be fiscally sponsored by a 501(c)3 organization.
- Be nondiscriminatory in its policies and practices in regards to sex, race, color, marital status, national origin, religious affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, and age.
- Make the majority of its impact in Washington and/or California.
- Have a current year total expense budget under $5 million. We consider in-kind expenses to be part of this budget figure. The fiscal sponsor of an organization does not have to have an expense budget under $5 million.
- Have at least 1 paid FTE (full time equivalent) employee.
- Having more than 1 employee to accommodate the 1 FTE requirement is acceptable (i.e. two 0.5 employees or four 0.25 employees make 1 FTE).
- Not use its grant for individuals, political candidates or religious purposes.
- Grants will not be considered for individuals, political candidates or religious purposes.
- Current Satterberg Foundation grant recipients may not be eligible to receive a Core Support grant.
- Under federal tax law, the Satterberg Foundation cannot fund lobbying.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Core Support Grants - California by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.