Save our Seas Foundation Small Grant
Save our Seas FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $10,000
Next anticipated deadline: Jul 31, 2020 9:00am PDT (Pre proposal)
Later anticipated deadlines: Sep 30, 2020 9:00am PDT (Full proposal)
Applicant type: Working Professional Faculty Postdoctoral Researcher
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
The Save Our Seas Foundation (SOSF) offers a series of Grants dedicated to research, conservation and/or education projects worldwide. Projects should integrate at least two of these components, and the focus is on charismatic marine megafauna, and particularly Sharks, Rays and Skates.
The Save Our Seas Foundation (SOSF) is committed to supporting activities which have the capacity to make a real difference to the health of the oceans and to the survival of threatened aquatic species and habitats.
With a view to achieving this aim, the Foundation has developed a policy of supporting, in particular, applicants working on exceptional projects, on remarkable species or habitats and / or in unique locations. The purpose of this policy is to support research, conservation or educational projects which are capable of attracting significant public attention, and which, as a result, may genuinely increase public and government awareness of the urgent need to protect the marine environment.
As part of this approach the Foundation requires all grant holders to undertake public awareness and environmental educational activities (giving talks, issuing press releases, etc.) as part of their project. Foundation staff (including the dedicated SOSF Conservation Media Unit) are available to assist grant holders in such public relations work, and grant holders are expected to collaborate with them in preparing public awareness materials.
In line with the above strategy, most of the projects supported by the Foundation currently fall into one or more of three major programme areas:
The focus of the Foundation is on charismatic marine megafauna, and more specifically on Elasmobranchs (Sharks, Rays and Skates).
Small Grant Program
The Small Grant is designed for short (12- to 18-month) and small (grants average US$5,000) projects dedicated to early career scientists (within five years of a degree being awarded). Aimed at original and innovative start-up projects, the grant presents early career scientists, conservationists or educators with an opportunity to prove themselves. It targets local projects conducted by local project leaders. Whether or not the project is part of a larger endeavour, SOSF Small Grants are for specific and finite projects. Only projects concerned with marine chondrichthyan species (sharks, rays, skates, sawfishes and chimaeras) will be considered.
A special call is aimed at supporting projects that promote the recovery of sawfishes, wedgefish and guitarfish. However, any chondrichthyan projects are welcomed.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Only projects concerned with marine chondrichthyan species (sharks, rays, skates, sawfishes and chimaeras) will be considered.
- Applicants must be early career professionals.
Funding is awarded for only one financial year.
SOSF will consider small grant applications that, inter alia, aim to undertake the preliminary investigations necessary before a larger longer term project can be developed.
- The costs of short-term employees or the short-term extra costs of an individual’s participation in a project may be eligible.
The Foundation promotes local projects by local people.
Joint funding / Co-funding of a project by SOSF with another funding agency is welcomed, but not essential.
- The following expenses are not eligible for funding:
- Annual salaries (full-time or part-time) of researchers or of other individuals working on projects.
- Publication associated costs through regular funding.
- Attendance to conferences, as it is already providing Student Travel Grants to the AES, the EEA and Sharks International.
- Satellite tags in SOSF Small Grants
- The Foundation will not consider applications in which more than 10% of requested funding is allocated to travel expenses.
- The Foundation is not able to pay unspecified overheads, administration and handling fees to large commercial or noncommercial, governmental or non-governmental institutions or organizations (such as Universities or Non-Governmental Organizations), although specified administrative and accommodation costs may be met, provided they are essential and properly accounted for. SOSF funds project leaders and projects.
- Successful applicants for small project grants, including scoping projects, are not eligible to submit a continuation grant application the following year, but are not excluded from submitting a new Keystone Grant application.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Save our Seas Foundation Small Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.