Securian Foundation Grants
Grant amount: Unspecified amount
Next deadline: Oct 1, 2018
Later deadlines: Feb 1, 2019, Jun 1, 2019
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense, Applied Project / Program, Capital Project
Location of project: Counties in Minnesota: Anoka County, Carver County, Dakota County, Hennepin County, Ramsey County, Scott County, Washington County Expand all
Location of residency: MinnesotaView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The mission of the Securian Foundation is to enhance the quality of life and vitality of our community by investing in nonprofit organizations that make a positive difference and advance the common good.
We believe we can make the biggest impact when we direct our resources to specific community needs. The Securian Foundation prioritizes our support to four main categories.
We strongly believe in the importance of self-reliance and we place a high priority on programs that encourage, develop and sustain economic independence.
Examples include job skill training, job placement services, work readiness and career development programs for unemployed or underemployed and disadvantaged individuals.
We support higher education and its contributions to the economic health and vitality of our community.
We support private colleges and universities, typically through joint federated campaigns. We consider contributions to tax-supported colleges and universities only if the program is unavailable through private colleges or if it meets a specific community need.
Math, economics and business receive the highest priority, as well as youth development programs that encourage the pursuit of higher education.
Human services and special community needs
We provide major operating funding to the United Way in support of a wide array of human services, community support and health organizations.
In addition to funding from the Securian Foundation, Securian organizes a sizable associate fundraising campaign each year. Together our giving totals more than $1 million annually. Because of this strong support, we do not generally consider additional requests for operating support from organizations receiving United Way funding. However, United Way agency programs that do not receive United Way funding may be considered for funding. We also consider funding organizations demonstrating a service in an area of unmet need that do not receive support from the United Way.
The Securian Foundation provides support to the arts to enhance the quality of life, livability, diversity and vibrancy of our community.
We will favor programs that:
- Most closely match the Foundation's priorities and show demonstrated results;
- Do not duplicate or overlap programs of other agencies;
- Meet important needs not otherwise met;
- Provide services to a broad public sector;
- Address underlying causes or issues, rather than treating symptoms; and
- Have generated substantial support from other sources.
Types of funding
- General operating support;
- Capital campaigns for building purchase or renovation and technology upgrades are considered on their individual merits including:
- Thoughtful planning by the organization,
- Demonstration that its future constituency justifies expansion,
- Demonstration that increased operating costs due to the expansion can be met from revenues generated by the organization, without additional appeals to the Foundation, and
- Demonstration of significant support.
- Project or pilot program support where the organization has generated substantial support from other sources.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Grants are generally directed to organizations that contribute directly to the health and vitality of the corporate headquarters community and the state of Minnesota.
- Contributions to out-of-state or national organizations will be considered only if they strongly enhance the Securian Foundation's mission and priorities.
- Priority is given to major arts and cultural organizations that provide services to a broad audience and stimulate the cultural vitality of the community.
- In order to maintain focus and achieve greater impact, and in some areas due to federal law, the Foundation does not make grants in the following areas:
- Political, lobbying or fraternal activities;
- Start-up funding for new organizations;
- Religious organizations for denominational or religious purposes;
- Organizations that do not have tax exempt status under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code;
- Fundraising events, benefits, sponsorships or advertising support;
- Individuals or individual scholarships;
- Endowment campaigns;
- Athletic, recreation or sports-related organizations;
- Services traditionally supported by government agencies;
- International organizations;
- Trips or tours;
- Funding for hospitals or other health care services generally supported by third party mechanisms (hospitals, however, are eligible for matching gifts);
- Conferences, seminars, workshops or symposiums; or
- Public and private K-12 schools (however, schools are eligible for matching gifts).
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Securian Foundation Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.