Data-Intensive Analysis and/or Modeling for Socio-Environmental Synthesis Research
National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center
Grant amount: Unspecified amount
Anticipated deadline: May 16, 2018 2:00pm PDT
Applicant type: Research Scientist Graduate Student Postdoctoral Researcher Faculty
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Maryland
Location of residency: MarylandView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC) invites proposals for data-intensive analysis and/or modeling projects that advance socio-environmental synthesis research. This funding opportunity covers two types of projects that:
- Pursue novel, question-driven, and synthetic research into linkages between social and environmental system dynamics;
- Develop advanced data analysis and/or modeling tools that enable cutting-edge socio-environmental synthesis research.
Successful candidates will lead strongly data and/or modeling-driven research efforts that synthesize understanding at the interface of the social and environmental sciences. Successful candidates will be supported by SESYNC’s technical and research staff if assistance is required to execute the proposed computational tasks.
In order to apply, applicants must first contact Dr. Nicholas Magliocca at email@example.com at least three weeks before the submission deadline to determine project suitability and obtain approval and access to the proposal submission portal. If you apply for this Theme without approval, your application will not be considered.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC) invites proposals for collaborative team-based research (Pursuits)
- Teams should be comprised of no more than 15 members who will meet at our Center in Annapolis for 3–4 meetings of approximately 3–5 days over a period of 1–2 years.
- SESYNC invites projects that will investigate linkages between social and environmental system dynamics using data-intensive analysis and/or modeling to address novel and actionable socio-environmental questions.
- SESYNC invites projects that will advance the computational capacity of the socio-environmental community by developing innovative, open-source tools to support synthesis research through data and/or model integration, optimization, and visualization.
- We may cover the costs of a single research assistant position at a single team member’s home institution and/or at SESYNC.
- Projects that request a research assistant must include a statement of work providing a detailed description of the expected responsibilities and desired skills required of the position.
- Competitive proposals will:
- Bring together social and environmental data in novel ways to address critical socio-environmental research questions that are also actionable; or
- Attempt to advance modeling and/or analytical techniques beyond current applications which may be limited to a single scale of analysis, type of data, and/or disciplinary lenses.
- Projects that combine advances in analytic and modeling methods, such as the assimilation of large and/or heterogeneous data to improve model performance, are especially encouraged
- Teams should be highly interdisciplinary, and we encourage the inclusion of individuals from outside of academia (e.g., governmental agencies, non-governmental organizations, the business sector, etc.)
- SESYNC places priority on teams whose members have not had extensive prior collaborations with one another.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Data-Intensive Analysis and/or Modeling for Socio-Environmental Synthesis Research by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.