SF WPS Community Garden Irrigation Meter Grant Program
San Francisco Water Power SewerSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $10,000
Applicant type: Organizations Individuals
Funding uses: Project / Program
Location of project: San Francisco County, California
Location of residency: CaliforniaView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC) Community Garden Irrigation Meter Grant Program (Grant Program) is designed to help urban agriculture, community, and demonstration gardens in San Francisco track and manage irrigation water use through the installation of a dedicated irrigation water service. Installation of a dedicated irrigation water service and meter helps property owners and tenants accurately track irrigation water use, reduce wastewater fees associated with indoor uses, and allows for a separate shutoff for the irrigation system if needed. Irrigation meters also allow owners or tenants to track their usage in relation to their calculated annual water budget established by the SFPUC. Without a dedicated irrigation meter, it is difficult to measure how much water is actually used for irrigation at a property.
Provision of grant funding is based on the eligibility of the proposed activity and availability of grant funds. A maximum of $10,000 in SFPUC fees will be waived per urban agriculture, community, or demonstration garden for the installation of a new dedicated irrigation water service. Installation of the new water service shall be performed by the SFPUC. If the installation does not exceed $10,000, the remaining grant funds may be used to rebate select costs associated with a properly installed backflow prevention device.
Each grant application will be reviewed and evaluated on a first-come, first-serve basis until grant funds have been expended.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The Grant Program is available to any institutional, residential, or commercial water user who needs retail water service to irrigate an urban agriculture, community, or demonstration garden.
- The garden to be watered (excluding any hardscapes and non-irrigable areas) must be at least 2,000 square feet or larger to be eligible for the Grant Program.
- Applicants may include City departments, hospitals, schools, non-profits, community groups, neighborhood associations, developers, homeowners, landlords, or businesses.
- Projects must meet at least one of the following criteria to be eligible:
- An urban agriculture project with proof of receiving, or intent to receive, a change-of-use permit from the San Francisco Planning Department per the Urban Agriculture Ordinance approving their status as an urban agriculture site;
- A small scale urban market garden designed and operated for urban food production;
- A community garden sponsored by the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department with a signed Community Garden Plot Agreement; or
- A garden established for demonstration or other instructional programing purposes.
- An approved backflow prevention device is required for all irrigation water service connections.
- For more information on backflow prevention requirements, please contact the SFPUC Water Quality Cross Connection Division or see here.
- All activities must comply with applicable local, state and federal permit requirements.
- A plumbing permit from the San Francisco Department of Building Inspection is required to install the approved backflow prevention device.
- The permit cost is eligible for a rebate from the SFPUC.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the SF WPS Community Garden Irrigation Meter Grant Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.