Shenandoah National Park Trust Research Grant Program
US Department of the Interior: National Park Service (NPS)Suggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $15,000
Anticipated deadline: Oct 31, 2019
Applicant type: Undergraduate Student Graduate Student Faculty Working Professional Research Scientist
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Virginia
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The National Park Service faces a number of increasingly complex issues that threaten the integrity of natural ecosystems, cultural resources, and visitor experiences at Shenandoah National Park. To prevent the degradation or impairment of these park values, park managers must be aware of and understand the causes and consequences of these threats. The successful management and protection of Shenandoah National Park therefore depend upon scientifically credible and timely answers to important questions. Research is one important tool used by the National Park Service to meet its stewardship responsibilities.
To facilitate and encourage scientific research in Shenandoah National Park, a research grant program is being offered:
Shenandoah National Park Trust Research Grant Program: Supporters of the Shenandoah National Park Trust have generously donated to fund an annual grant for scientific activities. This program will support field research in the physical, biological, ecological, social, and cultural sciences. The intent of this grant is to support projects conducted in the park and helping to answer questions important to park resources. Grants are managed by Shenandoah National Park and up to $15,000 will be awarded annually.
Shenandoah National Park offers an ideal natural laboratory in which to study a wide variety of
research topics. Important science issues at the park include, but are not limited to, air pollution,
water quality, habitat fragmentation, invasive exotic species, rare species conservation, recreation
impacts on visitor experiences and natural resources, restoration of disturbed natural and cultural
landscapes, and a lack of baseline data about the park’s natural and cultural resources. Shenandoah
National Park offers a diversity of landscapes, including hardwood forest, rocky outcrops,
mountain streams, and open meadows.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The intent of this grant is to support projects conducted in the park and helping to answer questions important to park resources.
- The grant is intended to support field research at Shenandoah National Park.
- The program is open to undergraduate and graduate students, college and university faculty, state and federal agency scientists, private-sector research professionals, and others with appropriate backgrounds and credentials.
- Grant recipients must be self-directed individuals whose work will contribute to the scientific knowledge of the natural and cultural resources of Shenandoah National Park.
- Funds may be used for a variety of purposes including salary support; room, board, and travel directly associated with field work; supplies; and analytical costs.
- Requests for permanent equipment are not encouraged but will be considered; any permanent equipment purchased with grant funds becomes the property of the Shenandoah National Park Trust and subsequently will be donated to the park.
- In general, funding for a given project will be limited to one year only
- Individuals receiving an award in one year may apply for a different project in subsequent years.
- Maximum grant awards are $15,000, and projects with
matching funds are encouraged, but not required.
- Funds cannot be used for tuition, costs associated with attendance at professional meetings, publishing results, thesis preparation, fringe benefits, or institutional overhead.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Shenandoah National Park Trust Research Grant Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.