Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowships
Grant amount: £250,000
Next deadline: Dec 18, 2018 9:00am PST (Full proposal)
Later deadlines: Apr 18, 2019 9:00am PDT (Pre proposal), Jun 27, 2019 9:00am PDT (Full proposal), Oct 9, 2019 9:00am PDT (Pre proposal)
Applicant type: Postdoctoral Researcher PhD Student
Funding uses: Research, Fellowship
Location of project: Ireland, United Kingdom
Location of residency: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Ukraine, United Kingdom Expand all
Degree requirements: Applicants must be within 2 years of receiving their PhDView website Save Need help writing this grant?
This scheme offers recently qualified postdoctoral researchers the opportunity to start independent research careers, working in some of the best research environments in the world.
The Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowship is for four years and can be held on a part-time basis. The award provides support for:
- a basic salary (Determined by your host organisation)
- a fellowship supplement of £2,500 a year, for your personal support
- research expenses directly related to your proposal.
We expect you to identify an important biomedical or population health research question and to drive the development of your proposal (although you should also get advice from your research sponsors and mentor).
We want you to use the fellowship to:
- undertake a research programme that will not normally be possible in a standard postdoctoral position
- develop your scientific independence while working with the best researchers in the world
- expand your research horizons, through working in more than one research location, either in the UK or another country – ideally you’ll begin your fellowship in a new research environment or location, and there’s no limit on the amount of time you spend outside your sponsoring organisation.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Who can apply
- You can apply for a Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowship if:
- you’re in the final year of your PhD studies, OR
- you have no more than two years of postdoctoral research experience (from the date of your PhD viva to the date of the interview).
- You must have:
- an eligible sponsoring organisation in the UK or Republic of Ireland that will administer the fellowship for the full duration of the award
- a research project within our scientific remit.
- You must also:
- be a UK/European Economic Area national; OR
- have a relevant degree from a UK or Republic of Ireland university; OR
- have worked in a UK or Republic of Ireland university, hospital or organisation for a continuous period of at least three years.
- If you've been away from research (eg for a career break, maternity leave, or long-term sick leave), we will allow for this when we consider your application.
- If you've taken formal maternity, paternity, or adoption leave as the primary carer, or long-term sick leave, we will allow an extra six months for each period of leave when we consider your postdoctoral experience.
- You can only apply for one Wellcome Trust fellowship at a time.
- What's expected of your host organisation
- You must have an eligible sponsoring organisation that will administer your fellowship for the full duration of the award and identify a sponsor and mentor.
- You should give careful thought to your choice of research sponsors and mentor;
- they should possess strong track records in research, training and mentorship.
- You should have a research sponsor for every research environment you work in, who can:
- guarantee you access to space and resources for the required period
- offer you advice and support during the application process
- provide relevant scientific guidance during the award.
- Your mentor should:
- provide independent support and advice during the period of the award
- be committed to helping you achieve your career aspirations
- have a strong track record in research, not necessarily in the same scientific area as you
- be an experienced researcher, normally based outside your research environment.
- What we don’t offer:
- Major equipment. We only consider modest requests for equipment, so the place you choose to do your research must have the necessary equipment and facilities.
- Research assistance.
- We don't fund on a proportion of full economic costs in UK universities.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowships by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.