Sir Jules Thorn Award for Biomedical Research
The Sir Jules Thorn Charitable Trust
Grant amount: Up to £1,500,000
Next anticipated deadline: Apr 28, 2018 4:00am PDT (Full proposal)
Later anticipated deadlines: Nov 1, 2018 4:00am PDT (Pre proposal)
Applicant type: Nonprofit College / University
Funding uses: Clinical Biomedical
Location of project: United Kingdom
Location of residency: United KingdomView website Save Need help writing this grant?
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- UK medical schools and NHS organisations are eligible to apply, provided that they are
able to demonstrate:-
- A track record in international cutting edge clinical translational research,
- Adequate infrastructure support; and
- The commitment of internal resources for the synergy required.
- Only one application per eligible institution/organisation is permitted and must be
selected following an internal competition coordinated by the Research Dean, Head of
the Medical School, or other appropriate person having delegated authority, who must
provide written support for the submission.
- The work must involve research on patients.
- There must be a clear specification of the hypothesis based on pre-clinical experimental data supporting the rationale of the clinical study, arising from the applicant’s own work, (not derivative of someone else’s observations).
- Further work to support the hypothesis in the early phase of the grant or, indeed, to substantiate questions arising from clinical experiments may be supported by experimental animal models.
- There must be a clear strategy defining how the research will translate into benefit for patients and the timescale within which this will take place.
- The research must have a justifiable claim to be at the leading edge of international science, and must be led by a clearly identified Principal Applicant of outstanding quality in the early years of an established research and academic career.
- The work involved must be the major commitment of the Principal Applicant, comprising at least 70% of his/her research time or 50% of his/her total time, whichever is greater.
- There must be visible strategic commitment to the research by the host institution.
- Funding is restricted to work, including data collection, carried out in the United Kingdom.
- The Award may not be used to meet the salary costs of the applicant(s) who should be in institutionally funded posts for the duration of the grant.
- Grants are not available for research into cancer or HIV / AIDS related disease.
- The Trust does not fund the overheads of the host institution or any costs incurred by the sponsoring organisation.
- The Trust is unable to provide a grant for an existing project or to cover expenditure already incurred.
- The Trust is unable to provide a grant supplement support provided by other funding bodies.
- Applications submitted concurrently to other funders will be accepted but subsequent short-listing would be conditional upon any such applications being withdrawn unless the Trust agrees otherwise.
- The Trust’s charitable status does not permit the provision of a grant which might, whether directly or indirectly, contribute to a commercial profit for a manufacturer.
- An application cannot, therefore, be considered where a manufacturer is supplying a cash grant or equipment, materials, drugs etc. at no cost, whether express or implied, for commercial use of the findings of the project.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Sir Jules Thorn Award for Biomedical Research by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.