Society for Organic PetrologySuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $1,000
Anticipated deadline: May 31, 2020
Applicant type: Graduate Student
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
The Society for Organic Petrology has awarded research grants to graduate students since 1999. In 2005, the grant was named the William Spackman Student Research Award. William Spackman, throughout his career at The Pennsylvania State University, played a leading role in educating many people who are now active in the organic petrology field. Many in TSOP were either Bill's student or had Bill serve on their graduate committee. Graduates at schools such as Southern Illinois, Kentucky, South Carolina, and others, represent the second generation of Bill's influence. His long dedication to coal education has made it appropriate to name this award after him. Bill was highly influential throughout the history of the North American Coal Petrographers, and was the first President-Elect and second President of TSOP. He was made an Honorary Member in 1994.
The Spackman Award, formerly known as the TSOP Student Grants Program (originally patterned after the 1998 AAPG Grants In Aid Program), supports graduate thesis research in organic petrology. Research must demonstrate the utility and significance of organic petrology (which includes coal petrology, kerogen petrology, organic geochemistry and related disciplines) in solving the thesis problem.
All applicants, whether successful or unsuccessful, are eligible to apply for one year of TSOP Student Membership at no cost.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The Spackman Award supports qualified graduate students from around the world who are actively seeking advanced degrees.
- Monetary awards are to be applied to expenses directly related to the student's thesis work, such as field expenses, laboratory analyses, etc.
- A portion (not to exceed 25%) of the award funds may be used to attend a TSOP Annual Meeting.
- Funds should not be used to purchase capital equipment, to pay salaries, tuition, room, or board during the school year.
- Applicants who have previously been granted a Spackman Award are not eligible to apply for a second grant under the scheme.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Spackman Award by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.