Special and Urgent Needs Fund Grant
Grant amount: US $250 - US $5,000
Applicant type: Government Entity Nonprofit
Funding uses: Capital Project, General Operating Expense, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Counties in New York: Clinton County, Essex County, Franklin County, Hamilton County, Herkimer County, St. Lawrence County, Warren County, Washington County Expand all
Location of residency: Counties in New York: Clinton County, Essex County, Franklin County, Hamilton County, Herkimer County, St. Lawrence County, Warren County, Washington County Expand allView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Special and Urgent Needs Fund
In an effort to be a responsive grantmaker, Adirondack Foundation, along with some private family foundations and donor advisors, helped to establish a Special and Urgent Needs Fund (SUN). The SUN Fund's purpose is to assist organizations in the Adirondack region of New York to address short-term needs where a relatively small grant can assist with unanticipated, unbudgeted gaps in funding or to take advantage of a special opportunity.
What we fund
Adirondack Foundation looks for proposals that will allow an organization to:
- Conduct emergency repairs of a building structure or mechanical system (heating, cooling, etc.) whose sudden and unexpected failure interferes with provision of services.
- For example: repair costs for damaged roof due to unexpected weather event, or failure of a backup generator during power outage.
- Provide resources whose need could not have been anticipated or budgeted, and without which the work of your organization is severely hindered.
- For example: training for educators or school counselors to remain compliant with state regulations for school security procedures.
- Manage unanticipated leadership transitions or emergency succession of an executive director.
- For example: staffing cost for an interim director or to fill a capacity need while an organization's executive director is away on emergency medical leave or had to resign unexpectedly.
There is no deadline and organizations may apply anytime. Decisions will be made within two-three weeks of receiving the application and successful applicants will be required to submit a short six month report on how funds were spent.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Grant applications will be accepted from organizations that are located in or serve the people of the Adirondack region of NY.
- Organizations must be tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or be a public agency or municipality in the Adirondack region.
- Applicants must provide services without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.
- Adirondack Foundation will only support projects that are unbudgeted, unforeseen, and time-sensitive.
- Retroactive funding will only be considered in emergency situations.
- These requests will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- Community support for the project or the organization— the Foundation prefers to be the last dollars in for eligible SUN Fund projects and will consider partial funding if feasible.
- What we don't fund
- We do not make grants from SUN Fund for ongoing capital expenses, endowments, capital campaigns, religious purposes, individuals, debts, or for equipment (unless it is an integral part of an otherwise eligible project)
- We also do not fund budget deficits, funding shortfalls, or strategic planning or organizational development from this fund.
- Additionally, we are unlikely to fund projects that arise from deferred maintenance or projects from organizations who have recently received SUN grants.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Special and Urgent Needs Fund Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.