Special and Urgent Needs Grants
San Antonio Area FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $20,000
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Applied Project / Program, Capital Project, Training / Capacity Building
Location of project: Bexar County, Texas
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
Special and Urgent Needs Grants
The Special and Urgent Needs Funding (SUNF) goal is to help an organization meet its mission while managing an unbudgeted, unforeseen, and time-sensitive emergency or help the organization take advantage of an unexpected opportunity that will enhance its work.
The SUNF meets the need for a rapid funding response where the alternative traditional timeline would result in the loss of a critical safety net service or opportunity where other funding sources are not available.
What we fund:
The SUN Fund provides one-time grants up to $20,000 to:
- Respond to an urgent need that could not have been anticipated and for which there are no other sources of funding. Provide critical equipment or resource needs that could not have been anticipated or budgeted.
- Take advantage of an unforeseen opportunity.
- Although not limited to, preference is given to applications where the organization has made its own commitment to the project through an allocation of some of its funds.
Eligible for Funding
For the SUNF grant, we will consider any eligible organization that meets the overall grantmaking criteria of the foundation. Some possible examples are proposals that will allow an organization to:
- Conduct emergency repairs of building structure or mechanical systems (heating/cooling, water service, etc.) whose sudden and unexpected failure interferes with the provision of services. Examples of a grant of this nature would be repair costs for a leaking roof resulting from an extreme weather event.
- Replace essential equipment and technology whose need could not have been anticipated or budgeted and whose sudden and unexpected failure interferes with the provision of services. An example would a crisis hotline phone system that fails without warning.
- Provide resources whose need could not have been anticipated or budgeted, and without which the work of the organization would be severely hampered. An example of this type of grant is training on post-traumatic stress disorder for school guidance counselors supporting children severely impacted by a disaster or traumatic event.
- Manage an unanticipated leadership transition or emergency succession of an executive director. An example of a grant of this nature is staffing costs for someone to fill a capacity need caused by the sudden departure of the organization's executive director.
Applications for the SUNF are accepted and reviewed on an on-going basis.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- To be eligible for funding applicant organizations must:
- Be a tax-exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code .
- Provide programs and services directly benefiting Bexar County and the residents of the surrounding seven contiguous counties .
- Grants will be awarded on an as needed basis.
- For Special and Urgent Needs Funding grants, we do not make grants for:
- Capital campaign.
- Religious purposes.
- Debt reduction.
- Indirect costs.
- Scholarships for colleges, universities and trade schools.
- Political activities, organizations, or lobbying efforts intended to influence legislation.
- Non-emergency work that has already been completed.
- Operating deficits or deficits due to:
- Gradual loss of funding.
- Loss of government funding.
- Waiting for government reimbursement.
- Start up program expenses.
- Operating expenses for strategic planning, organizational development needs or ongoing program work.
- Expenses that should have been anticipated or result from failure to exercise proper maintenance or duty of care.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Special and Urgent Needs Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.