Special and Urgent Needs (SUN) Grants
Santa Fe Community Foundation
Grant amount: Up to US $2,500
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Counties in New Mexico: Los Alamos County, Mora County, Rio Arriba County, San Miguel County, Santa Fe County, Taos County Expand all
Location of residency: Counties in New Mexico: Los Alamos County, Mora County, Rio Arriba County, San Miguel County, Santa Fe County, Taos County Expand allView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Santa Fe Community Foundation Special and Urgent Needs (SUN) Grants
We created Special and Urgent Needs (SUN) grants to address the short-term needs of nonprofits. With a relatively small amount of funding, SUN grants help an organization take advantage of an unbudgeted, unforeseen, and time-sensitive opportunity or emergency that will enhance or preserve the ability of the organization to meet its mission.
What We Fund
For the SUN grant round, we will consider any eligible organization that meets a well-documented community need in our funding region. We look for proposals that will allow an organization to:
- Obtain essential equipment, technology, or resources whose need could not have been anticipated or budgeted, and without which the work of the organization would be severely hampered.
- Manage an unanticipated leadership transition or emergency succession of an executive director.
- Conduct emergency repairs of building structure or mechanical systems (heating/cooling, water service, etc.) whose sudden and unexpected failure interferes with the provision of services.
- Take advantage of an unexpected but strategic opportunity that would increase an organization's ability to achieve its goals.
For Special and Urgent Needs grant rounds, we only fund projects that are unbudgeted, unforeseen, and time-sensitive.
How We Evaluate Your Application
The Santa Fe Community Foundation will consider the following criteria:
- Compatibility with the SUN grant round guidelines.
- Whether the project or program enhances or preserves the ability of the organization to meet its mission.
- Well-documented community need for organization and/or project.
- Extent to which the project or program will address the needs of our region, including underserved populations, as outlined in our ends statement.
- Time sensitivity of the project or program; grant would meet an immediate revenue need.
- Financial sustainability of the project or program and financial stability of the organization.
- Community support for the project and the organization.
- Project is not part of the annual workplan or budget.
- Availability of Foundation funds.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Grant applications will be accepted from organizations that are located in and serve the people of Santa Fe, Rio Arriba, Taos, Los Alamos, San Miguel or Mora Counties.
- Organizations must be tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or be a public agency in the state of New Mexico.
- Nonprofit organizations or community groups who do not have 501(c)(3) status may apply for grant awards if another tax-exempt organization acts as a fiscal sponsor.
- Applicants must employ staff and provide services without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.
- Given the very small size of this pool of funds and the overwhelming need in this area, we do not have the capacity to consider requests for operating expenses due to budget deficits or shortfalls.
- What We Don't Fund:
- We will not generally make SUN grants for:
- organizations with an operating budget larger than $1.5 million
- independent/private schools
- capital campaigns (except for initial planning expenses)
- religious purposes
- equipment (unless it is an integral part of an otherwise eligible project)
- We do not fund work that has already been completed.
- We also cannot consider applications for budget deficits or shortfalls in this grant round.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Special and Urgent Needs (SUN) Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.