Spencer Foundation: Small Research Grants
The Spencer FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $50,000
Next deadline: Nov 1, 2019 12:00pm PDT
Later deadlines: Mar 1, 2020 12:00pm PST, Jul 1, 2020 12:00pm PDT
Applicant type: Postdoctoral Researcher Faculty Research Scientist
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the world
Degree requirements: Applicants must have a completed PhDView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
The Small Research Grants Program supports education research projects that will contribute to the improvement of education, broadly conceived, with budgets up to $50,000 for projects ranging from one to five years. We accept applications three times per year.
This program is “field-initiated” in that proposal submissions are not in response to a specific request for a particular research topic, discipline, design, or method. Our goal for this program is to support rigorous, intellectually ambitious and technically sound research. We recognize that learning occurs across the life course as well as across settings—from the classroom to the workplace, to family and community contexts and even onto the playing field—any of which may, in the right circumstance, provide the basis for rewarding study that makes significant contributions to the field. We value work that fosters creative and open-minded scholarship, engages in deep inquiry, and examines robust questions related to education. To this end, this program supports proposals from multiple disciplinary and methodological perspectives, both domestically and internationally, from scholars at various stages in their career.
We encourage rigorous research designs that sensibly investigate the focal phenomena with the appropriate partners and expertise. We expect and welcome methodological diversity in answering pressing questions thus we are open to projects that utilize a wide array of research methods including quantitative, qualitative, mixed-methods, ethnographies, design-based research, participatory methods, historical research, to name a few.
Small Research Grants on Education budgets are limited to $50,000 and may not include indirect cost charges per Spencer’s policy.
Projects proposed may not be longer than 5 years in duration.
PIs and Co-PIs may only hold one active research grant from the Spencer Foundation at a time. (This restriction does not apply to the administering organization; organizations may submit as many proposals as they like as long as they are for different projects and have different research teams.)
PIs and Co-PIs may not submit more than one application for a given deadline in this program.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Proposals to the Research Grants on Education program must be for academic research projects that aim to study education.
- Principal Investigators (PIs) and Co-PIs applying for a Small Research Grant on Education must have an earned doctorate in an academic discipline or professional field, or appropriate experience in an education research-related profession.
- While graduate students may be part of the research team, they may not be named the PI or Co-PI on the proposal.
- The PI must be affiliated with a college, university, school district, non-profit research facility, or non-profit cultural institution that is willing to serve as the administering organization if the grant is awarded.
- Proposals are accepted from the U.S. and internationally, however all proposals must be submitted in English and budgets must be proposed in U.S. Dollars.
- Proposals for activities other than research, or proposals for research studies focused on areas other than education, are not eligible.
- The Spencer Foundation does not award grants directly to individuals.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Spencer Foundation: Small Research Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.