NFE Standard Grants
Northwest Fund for the Environment (NWFE)Suggest an update
Grant amount: US $3,000 - US $20,000
Deadline: Feb 6, 2019 12:00pm PST
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Washington
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
- As a Foundation we are dedicated to supporting grassroots level work that feeds into our greater programmatic goals. We are seeking to connect local activities and place based organizations to the policies and organizations we support at regional and statewide levels.
- We are aware of the need for a response to time sensitive or urgent opportunities that do not always match well with grantmaking deadlines. This fund increases our flexibility to respond.
- We are on the look out for emergent issues and unique opportunities where we may not have made prior investments.
- Encourage transparent, sustainable, inclusive, community-driven land use planning and management within the State of Washington.
- Promote land use practices and policies which seek to reduce impacts, such as carbon emissions, that contribute to climate change.
- Increase the effectiveness of citizen advocates and nonprofit organizations to implement and maintain smart growth land use policies.
- Support compliance with and enforcement of growth management laws and regulations that result in long-term, statewide net benefits for the natural resources of Washington State.
- Use litigation, mediation and other legal tools to enforce and monitor compliance with existing growth management laws.
- Educate, organize and engage the public in land use planning processes and management that is consistent with smart growth.
- Promote and defend the use of best available science to achieve growth management objectives.
- Freshwater ecosystems including rivers, streams, wetlands, and riparian areas. We are concerned with water quality, water quantity and connectivity issues as they affect aquatic ecosystems.
- Saltwater ecosystems of Puget Sound and the Washington Coast, including estuaries and saltwater shoreline areas.
The NWFE seeks to fund work advancing these objectives:
- Improve implementation of water quality standards throughout Washington State, including the protection of waterways from both point and non-point sources or the weakening of existing environmental regulations.
- Establish and protect adequate instream flow levels statewide to provide healthy habitat for native species.
- Enhance connectivity of freshwater systems – both instream and with other functioning water bodies and sources.
- Prepare and plan for changes in water availability attributed to climate change.
- Reduce and respond to threats to marine resources from external harms such as oil spills, invasive species and climate change impacts.
- Protect marine and estuarine habitat and native species from pollution or weakening of existing environmental regulations.
- Support and promote marine resource management that is sustainable, transparent, community-driven and ecosystem-based in its approach.
- Monitor the implementation and application of existing laws.
- Promote public policies that enhance, protect or restore aquatic ecosystems.
- Litigate to enforce and defend key laws e.g., Clean Water Act (CWA), Shoreline Management Act (SMA), and the Endangered Species Act (ESA) as they apply to these areas.
- Participate in ongoing public processes and negotiations.
- Inform and engage the public in the stewardship and protection of aquatic ecosystems and resources
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applications will be judged on their benefits within Washington State ONLY.
- All first time applicants may only apply for project support.
- Applicant nonprofit organizations should be classified as 501(c)(3) public charities by the Internal Revenue Service.
- We do not make grants to individuals or for-profit organizations.
- We do not make grants intended to influence legislation or to support candidates for political office.
- We DO NOT fund the following:
- Endowments or capital campaigns
- Debt reduction or loans to organizations
- Capital projects, such as building acquisition or construction, large equipment purchases or vehicle acquisition
- Land acquisition
- Structural on the ground restoration, such as tree planting, culvert removal or invasive species removal.
- We will consider funding policy, advocacy, and legal work related to restoration but not the work itself.
- K-12 educational activities
- Organization of, scholarships for, or support of public conferences, as distinct from invited meetings or convening of groups engaged in related efforts
- Youth group support
- Production of publications and videos for the general public
- Web page development
- Museum displays
- Art projects, including performances; visual art projects and arts education
- Partisan political activities
- Academic scholarships or fellowships
- Academic research
- University overhead costs
- Field research (except when an integral part, but only one component, of your application)
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the NFE Standard Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.