SVP Los Angeles Systems Change Accelerator
Social Venture Partners Los AngelesSuggest an update
Anticipated deadline: Jul 16, 2020 (Pre proposal)
Grant amount: Approximately US $20,000
Fields of work: Human & Social Services Social Justice / Human Rights
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Training / Capacity Building
Location of project: Los Angeles County, California
Location of residency: Preferred: Los Angeles County, California Other eligible locations: United StatesView website Save
About this funder:
The SVPLA Systems Change Accelerator is a nine-month program accelerating the growth and impact of a cohort of systems change initiatives in Los Angeles County. The Accelerator blends workshops, coaching, peer learning, and 1:1 mentoring to support nonprofit leaders in honing their systems change strategy, clarifying and amplifying their message, and growing their network of relationships and resources while grounding their work in the values of equity and justice. We’ve found that supporting these foundational elements uniquely accelerate an organization’s ability to create systemic community impact.
We define systems change as work that tackles the root causes of pressing social problems. As distinct from direct service work, systems change initiatives (1) acknowledge the complex, interrelated political/social/economic factors contributing to a social problem, and (2) seek to tackle the root causes of pressing social problems, creating change in underlying inequitable structures by shifting policies, processes, resources, and power structures.
We see an opportunity to create exponential positive change in Los Angeles through this focus on root causes, by channeling the unique skills, networks, and expertise of the cohort and our SVP Partners (our donor volunteers with deep cross-sectoral experience in business growth & development, leadership, and coaching) in support of these endeavors.
The program runs from October 2019 to June 2020, and includes participation in SVP’s signature Fast Pitch Program. 2019 began a year of significant growth in SVPLA's capacity to support early-stage systems change initiatives. We reimagined the Accelerator application process - eliminating a long, written application form - and transitioned to in-person workshops to identify our incoming Accelerator cohort. And doubled our cohort size to 10!
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Organizations must meet all of the below criteria in order to be eligible for the Accelerator:
- Nonprofit organization –
- Applicants must have a designation from the IRS as a 501(c)3 organization, or proof of fiscal sponsorship at the time of submitting the online Eligibility Questionnaire.
- Systems Change Focus -
- Applicant’s organization or initiative must have a systems change focus.
- We define systems change as work that tackles the root causes of pressing social problems that produce inequitable outcomes
- . Systems change efforts (1) acknowledge the complex, interrelated political/social/financial factors contributing to a social problem, as well as the applicant organization’s role in this eco-system, and (2) seek to address the underlying policies, processes, relationships, behaviors, and power structures that are contributing to the problem.
- We are looking for organizations that are working to alter the status quo by transforming systems, and rethinking the boundaries of what is possible.
- See more information and questions to help you to determine whether your work is systems change, at our Accelerator FAQ page.
- Location –
- We have a strong preference for LA-based organizations.
- If you’re part of a national organization or are headquartered elsewhere, you are still invited to apply. Tell us how your program significantly impacts LA County.
- Early Stage Endeavors -
- The organization or initiative must be in the early stages of growth and development, but must have some proof of concept.
- Larger, established organizations may apply to the program only if their participation in the Accelerator would focus on a new, systems-change initiative being developed or implemented by their organization.
- Organization Representative –
- The individual participating in the Accelerator on behalf of their organization must hold the title of Executive Director, CEO, or equivalent position with significant organization-wide decision-making responsibility, and should have at least six months of tenure with the organization.
- Participants should work or live in LA County in order to utilize the coaching resources available.
- We also invite additional organizational team members to participate in some of the workshops throughout the course of the program.
- Ability to participate in all workshop dates -
- Applicants must be able to attend all workshop dates outlined.
- Organization Size, Years in Operation –
- There are no restrictions on size of organizational budget, staffing, or years in operation.
- SVPLA Fast Pitch Alumni –
- Fast Pitch semifinalist organizations (those who did not present on stage) are eligible to apply.
- Fast Pitch finalist organizations (those who presented on stage) are not eligible for this program.
Want to discover new grants?
See how we help our customers save time and find new funding by trying out Instrumentl for 14-days free or learn more.
“This is the best foundation match & grant tracking tool I've used in my many years of fundraising.”