Conservation Policy Grants
The Brainerd Foundation
Grant amount: US $40,000 - US $75,000
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Canada, Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington Expand all
Location of residency: Canada, United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
NOTE: Inquiries are accepted on an ongoing basis. Grants are awarded at one of three board meetings held each year. Proposals are accepted by invitation only.
Conservation policy funding
Building the power of community leaders and policy-makers to protect our region's air, land, and water.
Policy opportunities vary dramatically across the Northwest and reflect each place’s political environment, conservation history, and local conservation community.
Our strategy invests in two or three critical organizations in each state (or province) that demonstrate the leadership, capacity, and track record to enact, implement, enforce, and defend strong conservation policies.
Measures of Success
By the time the foundation sunsets in 2020, we aim to see:
- Effective collaboration among organizations to achieve policy goals.
- Conservation organizations with improved credibility and influence among community and policy leaders.
- A broader base of stakeholders engaged in conservation advocacy.
- More public officials and policy-makers who champion conservation priorities.
Typical Conservation Policy Grantees
- Organizations serving as lead advocates on state-based conservation policies.
- Issue-based organizations leading collaborative efforts on strategic policy priorities.
- Organizations advancing voter education and civic engagement efforts for the conservation community.
- Legal groups that lend their services and policy counsel.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- We do not fund projects related to:
- K-12 school education programs
- Direct land purchases or easements
- Structures, capital improvements or campaigns
- Endowments, debt reduction, or cash flow shortfalls
- Academic research
- Books, videos, and television or film projects that are not components of a broader strategy
- Support or opposition of any candidate for political office.
- Programs with an exclusive focus on marine conservation
- We do not make grants to individuals or for-profit organizations.
- The foundation cannot earmark any portion of its grants for use in lobbying or influencing legislation. The foundation may consider funding projects that include both lobbying and nonlobbying activities if a detailed budget that breaks out lobbying and nonlobbying expenses is provided, so long as the amount of a project grant requested does not exceed the nonlobbying expenses.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Conservation Policy Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.