Scholarship in Garden History and Design at the Archives of American Gardens
Garden Club of AmericaSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $4,000
Next anticipated deadline: Dec 1, 2019
Later anticipated deadlines: Feb 1, 2020, Jul 1, 2020
Applicant type: Graduate Student
Funding uses: Scholarship, Research
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
Since its founding, the Garden Club of America has supported the recording and study of gardens and landscape design. GCA was one of the prime sponsors of early garden photography and 1919 formed the Slide Committee to document not only the gardens of members but also historic gardens of the past and present. From 1920 to 1935, GCA commissioned over 2000 glass lantern slides, many hand-colored by the artist Edward van Altena. These and other images became the backbone of the GCA-sponsored reference Gardens of Colony and State, written by Alice G. B. Lockwood and first published in 1930. The slides also formed the beginning of an extensive collection of garden images that were donated to the Smithsonian Institution in 1987 to create the Archive of American Gardens. Today the Garden History & Design Committee of the GCA supports the study and recording of landscape history and contemporary garden design by continuing to contribute images to the AAG. Committee members also generated a fund to provide internships, which in 1997 was transferred to the Scholarship Committee.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- For graduate candidate in museum studies, public history, or information studies with courses in collections management for archives or museums.
- Requires a very high attention to detail and excellent organizational skills, excellent writing abilities and communication skills, knowledge of DACS, MARC, and EAD standards.
- Eligibility is open to U.S. Citizens and permanent residents who are enrolled in a U.S. - based institution.
- Please Note: Only one GCA scholarship, fellowship or award may be applied for annually.
- Previous experience working with photographic or visual materials preferred.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Scholarship in Garden History and Design at the Archives of American Gardens by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.