The Geological Society: Research Grants
The Geological Society of London
Grant amount: Approximately £1,000
Deadline: Feb 1, 2019
Applicant type: Graduate Student Postdoctoral Researcher Faculty Unaffiliated Researcher
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The Geological Society of London is a not-for-profit organisation, and a registered charity (no. 210161). Its aims are to improve knowledge and understanding of the Earth, to promote Earth science education and awareness, and to promote professional excellence and ethical standards in the work of Earth scientists, for the public good.
The following are Society Research Funds. There is 1 application; it is not essential to identify the name of the grant in which you think your project may sit.
Mike Coward Fund
- For fieldwork in structural geology as applied to regional tectonics
William George Fearnsides Fund
- To advance geological science
Edmund Johnson Garwood Fund
- For the encouragement of research in stratigraphy, with palaeontology, and in physical geology
Gloyne Outdoor Geological Research Fund
- For the prosecution of outdoor research preferentially of a palaeontological or stratigraphical character, and preferentially within the limits of the British Commonwealth
Annie Greenly Fund
- For detailed geological mapping
Timothy Jefferson Field Research Fund
- For a field project for research in Earth science
Elspeth Matthews Fund
- For members of the Society for geological field-based research anywhere in the world
Daniel Pidgeon Fund
- To promote geological original research
Joseph Burr Tyrrell Fund
- To assist geologists of Great Britain and Ireland to travel to and in Canada; or
- to assist in the publication of meritorious papers by geologists of Great Britain and Ireland upon the geology of Canada; or
- to assist such geologists in any other way best adapted to further this object.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- This program is intended for researchers and geologists doing research on:
- geological science
- Earth science
- Eligible applicants for Elspeth Matthews Fund must be members of the society.
- Allowable costs include:
- Travel and subsistence
- Local travel costs
- Specimen shipping costs
- Laboratory expenses
- Preference will be given to early career applicants for following grants:
- Timothy Jefferson Field Research Fund
- Elspeth Matthews Fund
- Daniel Pidgeon Fund
- Edmund Johnson Garwood Fund: preference will be given to mid-career applicants.
- All applications are judged on the scientific excellence of the project and the applicant but in deciding between those of equal merit preference will be given to Fellows of the Society and to those who make the strongest case for financial support.
- Timothy Jefferson Field Research Fund is not for military activity or development.
- Non allowable costs include:
- Attendance at committee meetings of IUGS and similar international bodies
- Conference attendance
- Tuition fees
- Funding for taught Masters
- Costs associated with open access publishing
- Undergraduate field mapping projects
- The Society will not provide funding where there has been a failure by the research supervisor to seek the full cost of associated field or laboratory work.
- Applications which the Committee considers to be premature, e.g. too early in the applicant’s course, will be ruled out
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Geological Society: Research Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.