The Joan K. Hunt and Rachel M. Hunt Summer Scholarship in Field Botany

Garden Club of America

Suggest an update

Grant amount: US $2,500

Anticipated deadline: Feb 1, 2021

Applicant type: Undergraduate Student Masters Student

Funding uses: Research

Location of project: United States

Location of residency: United States

View website    Save Need help writing this grant?

About this funder:



The purpose of this is to promote the importance of botany to horticulture by encouraging young men and women to study field botany in the US, and to offer an opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in the field beyond the regular course of study.

Following the death of his wife, Joan Hunt, Torrence Miller Hunt, Sr. decided to remember her with a donation to the GCA Scholarship Program. During her lifetime, Joan was a director from Zone V, an active member of the Garden Club of Allegheny County, and loved her association with her club and the GCA. Members of the GCAC agreed. It was decided that the scholarship would be named in honor of Joan K. Hunt and Rachel M. Hunt, beloved members of the Garden Club of Allegheny County and outstanding women of Pittsburgh. Rachel M. Hunt, the mother of Torrence M. Hunt, Sr., was a director of The Garden Club of America from 1934-1939, and a founding member and president of the Garden Club of Allegheny County. One half of the funding would come from the Garden Club of Allegheny County and the balance would come from Torrence M. Hunt, Sr. Funding was completed in January 2003 and the first Hunt Scholar was named that March.

Study may be for credit or beyond the regular course of study. The specific course of study and the location are chosen by the student. Summer field work in pure botany in the U.S for U.S. college students following their freshman, sophomore, junior or senior year and graduates pursuing a master’s degree.

You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.


  • A student may apply for only one GCA scholarship each year.
  • Open to undergraduates and graduate students up to the masters degree level.
  • Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited United States institution, college or university. 


  • Preference is given to undergraduate students.