The Simmons Foundation Health Grant
The Simmons Foundation
Grant amount: US $2,000 - US $75,000
Next anticipated deadline: Dec 5, 2018 3:00pm PST (Pre proposal)
Later anticipated deadlines: Jan 12, 2019 3:00pm PST (Full proposal)
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Research, Training / Capacity Building, Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Counties in Texas: Brazoria County, Fort Bend County, Galveston County, Harris County, Montgomery County
Location of residency: Preferred: Counties in Texas: Brazoria County, Fort Bend County, Galveston County, Harris County, Montgomery County Other eligible locations: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The Simmons Foundation focuses our grants in alignment with our mission, vision, values and areas of concentration. The Foundation considers requests for both General Operating or Program grant requests.
The Foundation focuses on organizations and proposals that show collaboration within the community and focus on utilizing best practices toward a goal of long-term sustainability. We are particularly focused on supporting advocacy from the ground up – empowering both organizations and individuals to advocate for the issues impacting their community. We are particularly interested in trauma-informed interventions that are client-centered.
The Foundation considers requests for both General Operating or Program grant requests.
Goal: Toward increasing access to comprehensive, informed care for all individuals regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression
- Health Advocacy & Research: Efforts that support and complement the Foundation's health fields of interest.
- Access to Healthcare for the Uninsured and Underinsured: Comprehensive care for those without access to healthcare.
- Mental Health: Trauma-informed approaches and broader access to services.
- Reproductive Health: Comprehensive care including access to birth control, scientifically accurate sexual health, and all choice options.
Childhood immunizations: The Foundation expects primary care clinics serving children to incorporate immunizations as part of their comprehensive primary care and pediatric services.
Sexual Health: The Foundation believes that women (including LGBTQ women) should have access to comprehensive care. This includes, among other things, a full range of sexual and contraceptive education, counseling, methods, and services so that women can better avoid sexually transmitted diseases and delay or prevent pregnancy or space their pregnancies to promote optimal birth outcomes.
Nondiscrimination Policies and Practices: The Simmons Foundation is committed to providing an environment free of discrimination where all individuals are treated with respect and dignity, have equal opportunities and can contribute fully to their communities. The Foundation disapproves of discrimination by organizations against individuals based on their age, employment status, socioeconomic status, military status, religion, pregnancy status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, race, ethnicity and national origin.
The Simmons Foundation appropriately conforms to provisions of the USA Patriot Act.
Applying for Funding
You will be notified via email if the Foundation is interested in considering a full grant application or if the proposed request is not determined to fit within the Foundation's current areas of interest.
If your organization is headquartered outside of the Greater Houston area, you will participate in the info session remotely.
View the grant calendar here.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Organizations applying for funds must be tax exempt under sections 501 (c)(3) or 170 (c) of the Internal Revenue Code and be classified as a public charity under section 509 (a) of the Code;
- Organizations must be located in and around the greater Houston area or in pre-selected cities;
- We fund work that directly benefits the lives of people who live in the Greater Houston Area, including Harris, Brazoria, Galveston, Fort Bend and Montgomery Counties.
- Organizations and agencies may request funds only once during a calendar year;
- Organizations must demonstrate direct impact on at least one of the Foundation's areas of focus;
- Organizations that have been previously funded must submit a final grant report before receiving additional funds; and
- Organizations receiving multi-year grants may not request additional funds until the grant has been paid in full and a final grant report has been submitted (exceptional circumstances will be taken into account).
- Funding for capacity building may be awarded as part of an operating or program request.
- The Simmons Foundation funds faith-based organizations. However, the Foundation will deny funds to organizations that require clients to participate in religious worship or practices as a condition of service.
- The Foundation will not fund organizations that deny assistance, including access or comprehensive information related to family planning, contraception and abortion services, or discriminate based on sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
- As a matter of policy, we do not fund the following:
- Underwriting or contributions to luncheons, galas and social fundraisers
- Requests to support candidates for political office, political parties or PACs
- Requests for individual scholarships or support
- International organizations
- Major arts organizations
- Grants to local, national or international organizations' annual giving or holiday campaigns
- Grants to 509 (a) (3) Type III supporting organizations
- Grants for major medical research projects
- Grants for religious purposes
- Grants for seniors
- Grants for substance abuse
- Grants for those with disabilities
- Grants for disease-related organizations
- Grants for adoption agencies
- Requests for capital campaigns
- Requests for endowments
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Simmons Foundation Health Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.