Environment - Marine Focus Area Grant
Waterloo Foundation, The (TWF)Suggest an update
Grant amount: £50,000 - £100,000
Next anticipated deadline: Mar 1, 2020
Later anticipated deadlines: Sep 1, 2020
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Preferred: United Kingdom Other eligible locations: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Through our environment fund we want to support projects which can help mitigate the damaging effects that humans are having on the environment and contribute to a positive change both now and in the future.
Marine Focus Area
Under our Marine programme, preference will be given to initiatives working to halt declining fish stocks that communities in developing countries rely on. We will consider both practical local projects, and strategic initiatives.
- Local projects. Applications for local projects should demonstrate that they will positively impact upon the marine resource they are working to protect, and could include:
- Development of marine protected areas or sustainable fisheries management
- Addressing local causes of over-exploitation of fish stocks and other seafood
- Creation of sustainable livelihoods for coastal and seafood dependent people
- Strategic projects. We will consider applications for strategic projects that are working on addressing marine issues at a wider or international scale. These could include:
- Working on international or regional marine policy
- Campaigning for improved practices in commerce
- Exploring different fishing practices and techniques
- Maintaining or improving fish stocks to a sustainable level
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Eligible applicants:
- We providing funding support to UK-based charities, many of whom work in close partnership with smaller local NGOs based in the countries in which they operate.
- If you are an organisation based outside of the UK you must have a reference who:
- Works for an international NGO with offices in the UK
- Works for an organisation that the Foundation has previously given a grant to
- Works for an organisation with offices in the UK, which has been a current or former donor to your organisation
- Works for an academic institution, think tank, or as an independent consultant who is based in the UK, and which has evaluated your organisation.
- Ideally, the person you provide as a reference will have visited your organisation and be able to provide feedback on the quality of your work.
- Applicants that refer to the availability of this information in their initial proposal will be given priority:
- Marine local projects. Applicants should be able to evidence previous successful marine projects, with outcomes including:
- A demonstrable increase in fish stocks
- Implementation of a management plan over a specified and measurable area
- Improved livelihoods and/or income levels of fishery-dependent communities
- Marine strategic projects.
- Evidence of previous successful strategic programmes e.g. an attributable change in policy or improved supply chain;
- For your proposed project, the specific measurable outcomes that you expect the programme to achieve, and the methods you will use to monitor these outcomes;
- The strategy put in place to ensure the sustainability of the programme’s objectives for the long term.
- We are not able to offer funding for:
- Projects with animal conservation as the sole focus
- Projects focusing on environmental education
- Projects based in freshwater fisheries (e.g. Lake Victoria)
- In addition, we only consider proposals from US-based organisations under exceptional circumstances, due to the higher availability of environmental funding in the US compared to the UK.
- Across the Foundation's entire grantmaking program, we will only consider one application per organisation at any one time. We therefore recommend that you chose your strongest project proposal and only submit that one.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Environment - Marine Focus Area Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.