Tier 1 Grants
Rasmuson FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $25,000
Fields of work: All fields of work
Applicant type: Government Entity, Indigenous Group, Nonprofit
Funding uses: Capital Project
Location of project: Alaska
Location of residency: AlaskaView website Save
About this funder:
Rasmuson Foundation works to promote a better life for Alaskans.
Tier 1 Grants
The Foundation’s signature grant program with more than 150 awards approved annually, these are grants of up to $25,000 focusing primarily on capital projects.
What are capital projects?
Short-term projects that include, but are not limited to, the purchase of furnishings, equipment and appliances, vehicles, technology, building construction/renovations/restorations, medical equipment, sports equipment, scientific equipment, musical instruments, and library collections (books and a/v) development.
For technology requests, the Foundation supports organizations in developing technology strategy and implementation plans.
On a limited basis, the Foundation will also consider:
Program expansion: Projects must demonstrate broad impact and long-term benefits, and be initiated by an established organization with a strong track record and a history of accomplishment. Eligible activities include expansion of services or start-up of innovative programs that address issues of community and statewide importance.
Creative works: Eligible activities include film and documentary projects, books, new creative work, exhibits and other cultural projects. Successful applications demonstrate a strong Alaska-specific context, significant community impact, and a well-developed distribution plan, if applicable.
Organizational Development: Rasmuson Foundation is piloting a new program with the Alaska Community Foundation (ACF) called Strengthening Organizations to support leadership and organizational development, program development, collaborations and community engagement, and evaluation efforts. Typically, projects funded via the ACF program will be ineligible for direct Rasmuson Foundation support. The Foundation will continue to support organizational development that exceeds $15,000.
Tier 1 applications are accepted year-round and reviewed on a rolling basis. We will email you acknowledgement when we have received your application. All applicants are encouraged to consult with Rasmuson Foundation program staff prior to submitting a Tier 1 application. Organizations that have received a grant from the Foundation may apply for another grant once the previous grant has been closed.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Organizations must be based in Alaska, have 501(c)(3) status and classified as a “not a private foundation” under section 509(a) of the tax code.
- In some cases, the Foundation will fund units of government, such as a city or tribe, or religious organizations if the project has broad community impact.
- Applications are evaluated based on the budget, scope of work, and expected outcomes.
- Applications are also evaluated for the organization’s track record, fiscal and management capacity, an active board and experienced staff, sources of financial support, and the project’s benefit to the organization and the community it serves.
- The Foundation places a priority on organizations in which all board members contribute financially.
- An organization in existence for less than a year is unlikely to be approved for a grant because it would not have established the track record and financial records required.
- Individuals are not eligible for Tier 1 grants.
- Rasmuson Foundation generally does not support:
- projects associated with core government functions such as roads, utilities, and public safety;
- in general, K-12 education;
- general operations, administrative, indirect, or overhead costs;
- deficits or debt reduction;
- fund-raising events or sponsorships; reimbursement for items already purchased.
Want to discover new grants?
See how we help our customers save time and find new funding by trying out Instrumentl for 14-days free or learn more.
“This is the best foundation match & grant tracking tool I've used in my many years of fundraising.”