VCA Project Grants
Virginia Commission for the ArtsSuggest an update
Anticipated deadline: Mar 2, 2021 2:00pm PST
Grant amount: US $1,000 - US $5,000
Fields of work: Performing Arts Media Arts Visual Arts Folk/ Traditional Art Public / Community Art
Applicant type: Government Entity, Nonprofit
Funding uses: Project / Program
Location of project: Virginia
Location of residency: VirginiaView website Save
To facilitate new and innovative art projects or services that engage the community and that have the potential to advance cultural presence, awareness and connections.
Project grant funds assist with the production of high quality creative arts activities, the creation of new work, operating support for new and emerging arts organizations, the expansion of successful arts programs, and services to the field. Projects can be in any artistic discipline and on any scale. There is a 1:1 required cash match for the grant. The Commission will not support the same project for more than three years.
Amount of Assistance
Generally, the grant amounts will be between $1,000 and $5,000. Applicants may submit more than one application for a combined total of no more than $5,000 and must provide at least a one-to-one cash match of the requested grant. The Virginia Commission for the Arts will rarely grant more than 50% of the cash costs of any project.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- This grant program is open to any Virginia not-for-profit organization, unit of government, or educational institution presenting the arts.
- Each department of a college or university is considered to be a separate applicant.
- These grants are designed to engage the community and encourage collaboration among other organizations with innovative artistic concepts.
- Applications from colleges/universities should be for activities not otherwise available in the community.
- A not-for-profit, tax-exempt Virginia organization or government unit may act as fiscal agent for a Project Grant request by an individual or organization that is not tax-exempt or not incorporated in Virginia.
- Eligible Activities
- Commissions of new works of art
- Operating support for new and emerging arts organizations (whose primary purpose is the arts, which have applied for 501©3 designation of the Internal Revenue code, are incorporated in Virginia, are five years old or less, and had a previous year’s income of less than $50,000)
- New or expanded performances or exhibitions
- Services to artists and arts organizations, such as research studies, shared administrative and/or technical services, professional development workshops, and shared promotional materials
- Commission grants to any established arts organization in one year will total no more than 30 percent of that organization’s income for the previous year. Most grantees receive much less than 30 percent of their income in Commission grants.
- Organizations receiving General Operating Support are not eligible for Project Grant funding.
- Project grant applicants may not apply for a regular General Operating Support grant in the same fiscal year.
- Generally, the Commission will not support the same project for more than three years.
- General operating support or annual budgets for established organizations are not considered projects and are ineligible
- Projects from colleges that are primarily for academic credit are not eligible.
Want to discover new grants?
See how we help our customers save time and find new funding by trying out Instrumentl for 14-days free or learn more.
“This is the best foundation match & grant tracking tool I've used in my many years of fundraising.”