VT Urban and Community Forestry: Caring for Canopy Grants
Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and RecreationSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $2,000
Anticipated deadline: Jan 31, 2020
Applicant type: Government Entity Nonprofit
Funding uses: Project / Program
Location of project: Vermont
Location of residency: VermontView website Save Need help writing this grant?
We offer annual grants to support the development of sustainable urban and community forestry programs at the local level. This funding should be considered seed money to help communities care for tree canopy and foster tree stewardship by taking the necessary actions to develop and sustain a community‐wide tree program. These grants allow for multiple program components (e.g., tree planting, tree inventory, tree maintenance, plan development, public outreach, and program development) to be merged into one grant application for ease and flexibility.
Our 2019 grants will focus on emerald ash borer (EAB) municipal planning.
Emerald Ash Borer Municipal Planning Grants
These grants will support efforts to prepare for and manage the impacts of emerald ash borer (EAB). EAB is a destructive and invasive forest pest that feeds on all species of ash trees, killing over 99% within four years of infestation. The state's forested land is made up of about 5% ash, yet up to 50% of downtown trees in Vermont are ash. All said, Vermont is home to an estimated 160 million ash trees. EAB is now confirmed in Orange, Washington, Caledonia, Grand Isle, and Bennington Counties. Communities statewide are encouraged to prepare to manage the decline of ash trees and the future of an urban tree canopy without ash.
$40,000 in cost-share grants are available for 2019. The maximum funding for proposals is $2,000. These funds will be distributed through a competitive grant review and selection process.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Who may apply:
- Municipalities and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations may apply for an EAB Municipal Planning grant.
- Non-profit organizations will need to provide a written letter of support from the municipality(ies) where the work will occur.
- Eligible Project Components
- Projects must relate to municipal EAB planning and take place in Vermont and may consist of one or more of the following program components:
- Ash tree inventories;
- Plan development;
- Public outreach & program development;
- Monitoring or surveying efforts for EAB;
- Ash tree assessments; and/or
- Replanting and restoration.
- These grants support planning and management but do not include tree removal or chemical treatment.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the VT Urban and Community Forestry: Caring for Canopy Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.