Western SARE: Professional + Producer Grants
Western SARESuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $50,000
Deadline: Nov 13, 2019 11:00am PST
Applicant type: Working Professional
Funding uses: Conference, Education / Outreach, Research
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
These one- to three-year grants are similar in concept to the Farmer/Rancher Grants with a few key differences. Instead of a producer serving as the project coordinator, an agricultural professional coordinates the project. A farmer or rancher serves as the project advisor.
The Administrative Council of the Western Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) program announces the Call for Proposals for Professional + Producer Research & Education Grants for 2017.
With a Professional + Producer Research & Education Grant, an agricultural professional and five (5) producers work together to develop a proposal to conduct both research and education on a sustainable agricultural topic and incorporate such items as:
- On-farm/ranch demonstrations,
- Farmer-to-farmer educational outreach
- Other approaches to assist in producer adoption in an area of sustainable agriculture
The goal is to achieve results that can be communicated to producers and professionals and can improve income, the environment, communities and quality of life for all citizens. Professional + Producer Research & Education projects primary focus should be to:
- Conduct on the ground research and education within the scope of the project. Not research or education; both must be conspicuous components of the proposal.
- Design on-farm/ranch experiments that will lead to a more sustainable agriculture
- Be creative and distinctive in addressing the changes that could come from the adoption of the results of this project by other producers.
- Detail creative educational outreach plans that deliver this new knowledge to other producers and professionals in the western region.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicants must have at least five producers involved.
- All proposals must have one professional.
- The Agricultural Professional is the grant applicant and the Principal Investigator.
- You are a professional if you are a cooperative extension service agent/educator or specialist, USDA-NRCS field staff, agricultural consultant, nonprofit staff member, or other professional assisting producers at the local level.
- The professional, through his or her institution, is fiscally responsible for the project.
- You may have more professionals assisting with the project, but only one will be listed as the Principle Investigator.
- Professionals can be paid for their travel expenses.
- They can also be compensated for their services.
- All proposals must have at least five independent producers/operations. They are a producer if:
- Their primary occupation is farming or ranching;
- They have a farm tax number; or,
- They are a part-time producer with at least $1,000 documented annual income from the operation.
- Each producer must be an independent and separate operation.
- The producers are to act as field advisors to the professional.
- Professional + Producer Research & Education Grant funds may be used for the following purposes:
- Mini-grants to producers to compensate for field research and education activities.
- Cost of field sampling, crop analysis and educational surveys.
- Materials and supplies needed for the project.
- Small tools and equipment.
- Outreach expenses such as holding a field day, tours, making a brochure, creating a website, etc.
- Out-of-town travel needed for the project.
- Local travel (where personal auto is used and reimbursed) needed for project.
- Hired labor for things that you cannot do yourself.
- Producer labor for project activities above and beyond their normal farming activities.
- Refreshments at field days, e.g. coffee, cold drinks, fruit, pie, cookies, etc.
- Services of Agricultural Professionals can be compensated.
- Indirect Costs of up to 10%
- Professional + Producer Research & Education Grant funds may not be used for the following purposes:
- Starting or expanding a farm or farm operation.
- Any single piece of equipment costing more than $5,000.
- Permanent improvement to a farm or ranch, such as constructing or remodeling a building.
- Any meal that does not maintain the continuity of the meeting.
- Testing of commercial products.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Western SARE: Professional + Producer Grants by joining Instrumentl.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.