WHALE TAIL Grants Program
California Coastal CommissionSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $50,000
Anticipated deadline: Nov 5, 2019
Applicant type: Government Entity Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach
Location of project: California
Location of residency: CaliforniaView website Save Need help writing this grant?
WHALE TAIL Competitive Grants Program
The WHALE TAIL grants support programs that teach California's children and the general public to value and take action to improve the health of the state's marine and coastal resources. Adopt-A-Beach programs, as well as other beach maintenance and coastal habitat restoration projects that have an educational component, are also eligible for these grants. This grants program focuses on reaching communities that are currently poorly served in terms of marine and coastal education.
This program distributes funds from sales of the WHALE TAIL Coastal Protection License Plate and from donations to the "Protect Our Coast and Oceans Fund" listed on the California state tax form. The WHALE TAIL License Plate is an official "specialty" license plate issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles. Proceeds from the sales of the plates benefit the California Coastal Commission's Adopt-A-Beach Program, California Coastal Cleanup Day and a wide variety of coastal and marine education projects throughout the state. The "Protect Our Coast and Oceans Fund" is one of the "tax check-off" funds listed on the California state tax form, offering taxpayers the option to provide voluntary donations of any amount. Proceeds from contributions to this fund specifically benefit the WHALE TAIL Grants Program.
The WHALE TAIL Grants Program funds projects that fall into any one of the following three categories:
- Adopt-A-Beach programs;
- Youth programs;
- Programs for the general public.
In addition, applicants may request funding under a subcategory for projects addressing climate change and/or ocean acidification.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The WHALE TAIL grants support programs that teach California's children and the general public to value and take action to improve the health of the state's marine and coastal resources.
- Adopt-A-Beach programs, as well as other beach maintenance and coastal habitat restoration projects that have an educational component, are also eligible for these grants.
- Applicants must be either a non-profit organization, a school, or a governmental entity.
- For beach operation and maintenance projects, the applicant must be a non-profit organization or local governmental agency.
- For proposals in the Adopt-A-Beach category, both current and new Adopt-A-Beach managers are eligible to apply.
- Grants will not be awarded to provide for an organization’s general, ongoing administrative costs, or to fund advocacy work.
- Grants cannot be awarded to programs that unlawfully limit participation based on gender, race, color, religion, ancestry, ethnicity, or national origin, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, primary language, immigration status or membership in any other protected group.
- Grants cannot be awarded for projects that include religious content in their programming.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the WHALE TAIL Grants Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.