Habitat Conservation Grant
Wildlife Habitat CanadaSuggest an update
Grant amount: Unspecified amount
Anticipated deadline: Oct 16, 2020 2:00pm PDT
Applicant type: Government Entity Nonprofit For-Profit Business College / University Indigenous Group
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Research
Location of project: Canada
Location of residency: CanadaView website Save
Wildlife Habitat Canada
Wildlife Habitat Canada is a national, non-profit, charitable conservation organization established in 1984 by Environment Canada, provincial wildlife agencies and conservation organizations. We work through partnerships with communities, landowners, governments, non-government organizations and industry to find effective solutions to address problems facing wildlife habitat. We are guided by a highly diverse Board of Directors, with representatives from national conservation organizations and government agencies.
Habitat Conservation Grants
Projects in this category focus on direct, on-the-ground activities that:
- address North American Waterfowl Management Plan (NAWMP) conservation priorities, as outlined in the Habitat Joint Venture Implementation Plans, including conservation, restoration, protection and enhancement of habitat in priority areas; or
- support habitat conservation for other important migratory game birds.
Examples of project activities that would fall under this grant category:
- creation, restoration or enhancement of wetland habitat;
- natural vegetation planting;
- construction and installation of Hen Houses or nest boxes;
- installation of livestock exclusion fencing;
- removal of invasive species;
- wetland inventory mapping; …etc.
NOTE: For infrastructure repair / re-build projects (e.g., water level control structure repairs or replacement), WHC will consider projects that:
- increase wetland acres and/or improve the ecological integrity of affected acres; and,
- address long term maintenance needs for infrastructure (which do not rely on any future
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Only Canadian recipients are eligible recipients and include:
- not-for-profit organizations;
- Aboriginal organizations, associations and wildlife management boards;
- research, academic and educational institutions;
- for profit organizations such as small businesses, companies, corporations, and industry associations;
- local organizations such as community associations and groups, seniors’ and youth groups, and service clubs; and,
- provincial, territorial, municipal and local governments and their agencies.
- To be eligible for funding consideration, the project must clearly demonstrate a minimum 1:1 funding match ratio in the 2017-2018 fiscal year (i.e., WHC contributions cannot exceed 50% of the Project Revenue).
- Funding from Government of Canada programs cannot be considered as match.
- Ineligible recipients include, but are not limited to:
- international organizations or individuals; and,
- government employees, departments, agencies and crown corporations at the federal level.
- Expenditures directly related to the acquisition of land or an interest in land, including a lease, conservation easement or conservation covenant are not eligible for grant funding from Wildlife Habitat Canada.
- Wildlife Habitat Canada funds cannot be used to contribute to any endowment fund(s).
- While Wildlife Habitat Canada recognizes the importance of projects involving habitat conservation, restoration and enhancement for non-waterfowl species and fish, these types of projects are not eligible for funding consideration under the Contribution Agreement between Environment Canada and Wildlife Habitat Canada.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Habitat Conservation Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.